The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have tuned 3 of these. The torque gains were great..gains everywhere, but results will vary depending on your engine hardware. Initial testing was done on Randy's old car. Hopefully he can chime in if he is willing.

One major improvement was a smooth idle with larger duration cams. The stock ECU does not take well to aftermarket cams of significant difference in profile.

The last NA car I mapped was a dedicated race car. He also had the LCD dash and complete Mil-spec wire harness for to replace the ALL the stock engine wiring. For a race application this is a great set up for many reasons, mostly for relaibility.

If you want to PM me I can get into more details.

Kris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hopefully he can chime in if he is willing.
Sure. I felt (and still feel) that using the EFI give you the best opportunity to max out what gains are available. For us, it was the intent on getting lower and midrange torque. We were able to tune for the performance cams (later removed due to SCCA class rules).

The very fact we kept changing the car, showed the versatility of a programmable stand alone vs a flashed ECU. Plus we also found a lot of variation in cars and if you are maxing out your gains, you need to tune THAT CAR on a dyno.

kris was great to work with. Wish he worked on Noble tuning. :)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Since randy mentioned 'vs flashed ecu', i'd like to point out that franks car with a flashed ecu has probably has more changes than anyones :), we went from

NA fiddling with the cam switch to
supercharged,
supercharged with close too 9:1 + xede
supercharged with close too 9:1 smaller pulleys
supercharged with 9:1 air to water
supercharged with 9:1 air to water + pulley changes
turbo charged 9:1 with different cams
turbo charged 9:1 with regular cams

etc

hows that for versatility ! ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think I can match the number of tunes on the EFI we did. It is mind boggling how many changes we made. Some for a very short period of time.

But as long as you are willing to provide those reflashes for the changes, then your method works also.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
maybe ;) i think we're in the 100+ plus range.

we've setup shops and adding more elsewhere to do it in case i decide not too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think I can match the number of tunes on the EFI we did. It is mind boggling how many changes we made. Some for a very short period of time.

But as long as you are willing to provide those reflashes for the changes, then your method works also.
Randy, for your old application and others who need to make changes at the track or local auto-x our system works well. As you know, if you needed just a little bit of a higher rev limiter to avoid upshifting before that next hairpin it was a simple pulg-in and change it. Then if you needed to have 2 different maps you just flip the switch...easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts