·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here's a link to the story: http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/0603fatal.html

it's near the bottom of the story (2nd to last paragraph):
"Nine days earlier, a sport utility vehicle struck a pedestrian at Edwin C. Moses Boulevard and West Third Street, after a PT Cruiser ran a red light and hit the SUV. The SUV flipped twice, then hit Scott Tegtmeyer, 42, who remained in serious condition at Miami Valley Hospital on Wednesday. The driver has not been charged.

That crash was captured by a red-light enforcement camera. Dayton police say the cameras, installed at a dozen intersections across the city, helped reduce injury crashes caused by ignored traffic signals by 28 percent during the past year."

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Most American drivers are morons!!!
They are definitely morons, but unfortunately the word "moron" doesn't even begin to hint at the severity of what's wrong with them.

I can't even think of a word to describe them. One needs to be created.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
They are definitely morons, but unfortunately the word "moron" doesn't even begin to hint at the severity of what's wrong with them.

I can't even think of a word to describe them. One needs to be created.
Yeah, here's another couple of words that describe american drivers:

- Multi-tasking drivers.
- Drivers who get there license at a young age.

It's just a bad situation. It took me a little more that a year to get license in Europe at the age of 19. I use everything I learned everyday. People here don't understand the consequences. A bad driver is like a high school kid with a loaded gun and a bad temper. F#ck... that video really pissed me off. F#cking MORON!!!!!

Neil

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
khamai said:
Wait a minute... if the Cruiser ran the red then wasn't the pedestrian walking against the light - and the SUV was bearing down on him???
I can't see the red lights in the video, but it's possible that the light was just changing to green and the Cruiser didn't run the light, and the SUV did???:confused:

In any case, it looks like the pedestrian saw it coming at the last moment. Then he ran to get out of the way. Ironically, it looks like if he would have froze and not moved, it would have missed him...

Poor guy. Wrong place at the wrong time...:huh:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
khamai said:
Wait a minute... if the Cruiser ran the red then wasn't the pedestrian walking against the light - and the SUV was bearing down on him???
No - the SUV was in the left lane & the ped was in the right lane. Had the F-ing idiot in the PT not hit the SUV he would have driven past the ped no problem.

Americans are bad drivers becuase we have shitty attitudes towards driving - All priviledge and no responsibility. We would rather get in an accident becuase it's not our fault vs. let's avoid the accident reguardless of who's fault it is.

I admit to driving fast but it's not dangerous. If conditions are bad I slow down. I may get pissed off at bad drivers but I don't do anything stupid that might endanger others around me - no cutting people off, no swerving or crap like that.

They used to have a term for it "Defensive Driving". Now it's "Lawsuit Driving"

·
Registered
495 Posts
Fair enough, but it does look to me like the pedestrian was walking against the light. Not that that excuses the driver, but he may bear some responsibility.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Accountability... It doesn't matter if the pedestrian was crossing the street "illegally" as humans we all make mistakes. But we drivers have to make less mistakes, sometime we take it for granted that we are surrounded by metal, and hitting a pedestrian, motorcyclist or a kid playing on the street will hurt them more than us. Driving requires a 100% concentration. It's got to the point where I turn off my stereo every-time I get off the freeway.

Neil

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hey, he wasn't walking in the cross walk. Does that count?

Tim Mullen

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some thoughts:

The pedestrian may well have started walking when the light was correct for him.

It may be that the light has just turned red, as we can see the approaching cars coming to a stop.

The station wagon stopped and never moving is waiting to make a left turn (see flasher) and may be waiting for his own left turn light....or waiting because the pedestrian was in his way, and then the light turned red.

Based on that, I don't see how the pedestrian shares any responsibility, other than if I was crossing a street and noted the oncoming cross car, I would have hurried over. At the exact time of impact, the pedestrian is just going over the white line in the road. I can't tell if that line defines another lane, or a turning area. In any case, even without the accident, that is a little close.

But the same kind of thing could have happened even if he was standing at the curb waiting to cross.

The PT is fortunate ti started to swerve to the left about 5-10 feet from impact. The impact then managed to continue the turning and most of the force just spun the car around. But the combined inertia of both cars pointed them towards the pedestrian.

Amazing he lived.

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
Little Bastard said:
That a$$hole in ran the f#cking red light... WTF, this kinda $hit just gets my blood boiling. Most American drivers are morons!!!

Neil
i'm with you, Neil. Pretty unbelievable. I couldn't tell what color the light was. Sometimes the timing is not the same. The opposite side could stop in order for the left turn signal to turn green while that same side continues straight.

Let's assume anyway that the light was yellow/red based on oncoming traffic w/respect to the PT. The SUV seeing red is slowing down to stop but then sees that the light has turned green and therefore accelerates again. If the SUV accelerates and the PT speeds up to beat the light and fails (that's why he hit the SUV) equals accident.

This same sh*t happend to me on the Fourth of July in '02. I was 50 feet from my house trying to make a left turn and this punkass sped up to beat the light and clipped the back of my wheel f*cking it up. Obviously my p*ssy insurance company said it was my fault.

I see this type of crap all the time. people talking their ass off, eating like pigs, looking at other people-accidents-cops pulled over holding up traffic. DRIVE! DRIVE! DRIVE! I hope Cali passes that distraction law. Slap on a big fine and no one will do that ****.

poor guy, I'm glad to hear that he made it. He tried to run out of the way but didn't react fast enough. Should have dove!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
shay2nak said:
Sap on a big fine and no one will do that ****.
Unfortunately, they still will - no one thinks it applies to them or that it will happen to them.:(

shay2nak said:
poor guy, I'm glad to hear that he made it. He tried to run out of the way but didn't react fast enough. Should have dove!
From watching it frame by frame, it looks like if he would have just stopped when he first saw it, it would have barely missed him.:eek: But you (and he) never know - I would have tried to out run it too...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
shay2nak said:
people talking their ass off, eating like pigs, looking at other people-accidents-cops pulled over holding up traffic. DRIVE! DRIVE! DRIVE!
Yeah, the other day I saw some stupid chick doing her make up while driving in the passing lane on the freeway! WTF... the make up isn't going to do any good when you are in a body bag!

Neil

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
TimMullen said:
From watching it frame by frame, it looks like if he would have just stopped when he first saw it, it would have barely missed him.:eek: But you (and he) never know - I would have tried to out run it too...

Tim Mullen
yeah, exactly. if he had run in the opposite direction he would have missed it entirely. The SUV was confined to the right lane the whole time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts