The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elan aficionados,

I would like to have some opinions of the 73 plus 2 in the images below. I am cotemplating making it my own although I have not owned an elan before. Of course, I have read through some of the threads and appreciate the beauty and desireability is clearly relative to each of our perspectives.

Let me have some feedback. FYI - This is a restored car.
CJ

Attachments

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I looked at that car awhile ago. I have a lot of info about it if you want it. PM me your email and I can get you the info that I have. The car is not quite how it is presented by the website or the sales people.

I passed on the car.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have always liked the plus 2 and this one looks awesome. I have been looking at it for awhile, but do not have the space
for it right now. I have only seen it in pics so I would talk to RoadDad about it.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Wow...it's just about the same color as my Europa ! :up:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The Plus 2 has room for AC and with a tall block twincam it certainly has the torque to run it. That could be the deciding factor in Florida.

Hm, classic lines, great handling, room for 2 and luggage, good ride quality, the possibility of AC. 1/10 the cost of a comparable Ferrari in both purchase and running costs.

Go for it if you can.

Of course I say this about all Lotus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my first post so I hope I am doing it correctly and that this works.

I too have been looking at these two plus 2s, the blue one and the red one. Both look nice, so I would be very intersted to hear what the problems are with the blue one - all I can see from the photos is that the radio is missing, which is trivial. And as far as the red one is concerned, one windshield wiper is missing - also trivial.

Is it possible on photos of this size to see the paintwork crazing that is common in these cars, or do you have to actually see the car itself?

If my questions sound naive, I apologise - I've been a fan of Elans for 40 years, but am only just now in a position to contemplate buying one.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Photos of Elan paintwork can be deceiving. My suggestion would be to examine any potential cars in person, and have someone who knows Elans go with you.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
...If my questions sound naive, I apologise - I've been a fan of Elans for 40 years, but am only just now in a position to contemplate buying one.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Rob
Where are you located? Local support is important for a new owner. Look for a local club. Try the Lotus Ltd site as a start Lotus Limited, ltd -- Lotus car Club, Club, Car Club, Elise, Europa, Esprit, Elan, Eclat, Elite, Lotus Ltd

Elan's are simple cars, although the wiring in a +2 is much more involved than that of other English cars of the 60's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
+2s are very nice cars, but they do drive differently than the 2 seater Elans. They're wider and heavier.

I'm not discouraging anyone if they're looking for a 4 seater Elan. But don't read Elan reviews and expect the same from a +2.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
RHC,

If the "red one" that you are referring to is in Reno, then I have looked at both of the cars at which you are looking. I have just about all of the existing info on both cars. I have passed on both with good reason.

Buy either if you so choose, but PLEASE do your homework first so that you know exactly what you are getting and getting yourself into. There will be MUCH $$ put into either of these vehicles after the sale.

·
Registered
155 Posts
+2

Those who have owned both say that the +2 has better handling because of the wider track and longer wheel base. Same engine in a heavier car, though. Practical Classics mag ran a series on dropping the Z-tec in one for more power. Cramped inside; low resale value, cost to restore more than a DHC Elan. Sorry, but I gutted mine and sold many of the parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RHC,

If the "red one" that you are referring to is in Reno, then I have looked at both of the cars at which you are looking. I have just about all of the existing info on both cars. I have passed on both with good reason.

Buy either if you so choose, but PLEASE do your homework first so that you know exactly what you are getting and getting yourself into. There will be MUCH $$ put into either of these vehicles after the sale.
Thanks "RoadDad" for this. Yes, the Reno red one. I e-mailed the dealer who replied that they had an "an asking price of $13500.00. We just spent $1066.00 on the car and have receipts for about anouther $8000.00 from the previous owner". No other details offered. Does that match with what you learned about the car? So what exactly were your reasons for passing on both cars? Again, I apologise for my inexperience, but I really want to find a good plus 2 - beautiful cars though I do understand the difference between the plus 2 and the 'regular' Elan.

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where are you located? Local support is important for a new owner. Look for a local club. Try the Lotus Ltd site as a start Lotus Limited, ltd -- Lotus car Club, Club, Car Club, Elise, Europa, Esprit, Elan, Eclat, Elite, Lotus Ltd

Elan's are simple cars, although the wiring in a +2 is much more involved than that of other English cars of the 60's.
I'm in Hawaii. We have a marvellous British Car Club but no Lotus specific club, just two or three fairly knowledgeable people - so I need all the help I can get - and travelling to see these cars is not easy from here ($$$$).

Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
My first Lotus was a '68 +2 that I almost completely restored. It now lives (I believe) in the pacific northwest. Since then I've owned a '79 S2 Esprit, a "'56" Westfield Lotus XI, a 2002 Ginetta G20, and now an '05 Elise. Of all those cars the ONLY one coming close to knocking the +2 off my list of favorites to own/drive has been the Elise.

I was looking at that Blue +2 as well but have not been able to get the courtesy of a response from the seller. I'd be interested in hearing what others know for certain about this car.

Cheers!

Aaron
St. Paul, MN

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts