The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. My friend just purchased a 26R style wheel to replace his original S1 wood wheel with. Problem is, we can't figure out how to remove it! My "modern" removal kit seems not designed for such a wheel as in there is no puller holes to bolt into. What are we missing?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU! I wonder though... the space on the backside of the hub is very narrow... will the "teeth" fit?

Cheers,

Aaron

·
Registered
685 Posts
Loosen the big nut, don't remove it, then hold the wheel as best as you can and give a couple of sharp raps on the nut with a hammer, just to break the grip of the splines.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Loosen the big nut, don't remove it, then hold the wheel as best as you can and give a couple of sharp raps on the nut with a hammer, just to break the grip of the splines.
+1--rocking the hub gently back and forth (by pushing/pulling on the steering wheel) plus a few hammer taps should pop it right off.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would be reluctant to use a puller, as the hub is most likely aluminum, which could be easily damaged. Try putting a little "Liquid Wrench" or similar on the splines, then try again the next day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
rubber mallet..........not a hammer. Better yet a small piece of wood wrapped in cloth.

tap tap, other side tap tap, other side tap tap...........

patience......

·
Registered
685 Posts
rubber mallet..........not a hammer. Better yet a small piece of wood wrapped in cloth.

tap tap, other side tap tap, other side tap tap...........

patience......
No I meant hammer - on the nut. I think you have misread or misinterpreted my post. You need shock to break the bond.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts