The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice project...I've been searching for an Elan project (preferably sprint livery)twincam with the weber head/carbs. I know that Spyder offers new Elan chassis for retrofit, can one also procure new Elan bodyshells from Spyder or Lotus? Building one from scratch (Zetec engine) would be the next best thing I guess, if I can't locate an 60's Elan DHC worthy of repair or restoration. WIth the cars seemingly so fantastic even by modern standards, if new shells are not obtainable, I wonder why they don't license someone to produce the kits/components again?

thanks!

David D.

1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit
2006 Lotus Elise

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
spyder cars just opened my eyes...I've always dreamt of something like that! if only I had the coin.. :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
love the BDA style valve cover...got to get me one of those for my Zetec 7. What alternator are you using?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi uglyduck,
I'm not really sure about the alternator, as I bought this as an unfinished project and the rolling chassis was already built up including engine and all ancillaries.
There is a reference to an alternator from a Ford Mondeo (European model) in the invoices but then it's crossed out too.
sorry I can't be more helpful.
best wishes
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
I like this project....fun to transplant.
Likewise, I transplanted a Honda s2000 engine + supercharger in my engine -- screaaaming 9,400 rpm lol::

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now that's a tidy transplant....looks like it was made to fit in a seven, caterham/westfield, (please excuse my ignorance).
Bet it goes really well too.

Nice job!

·
Registered
744 Posts
"Bet it goes really well too."
You can guess when 5,000 rpm hits a vtec + 14 psi of boost. Things become extreme.

"Did you change the transmission to? if so what trans?"
Honda s2000 6 speed - with cosworth rear diff - Quaife equip

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Looks great! Same color as my old '69 Elan, but your prep work looks much better. I would have loved to had the Zetec engine and a 5-speed transmission, but then again I might not have my Elise now if I did.

Pics (seen here before...):

DSC03112 (2).JPG

DSC03119 (2).JPG

DSC03114 (2).JPG

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks TMR,
Although your elan looks very clean and in good shape, do you still have it? as well as the elise? and which do you prefer to drive?
I've got an exige in my garage and haven't driven this elan yet, but my old S4 elan I think, is the better drivers car.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Regrettably I sold it in 2005 to finance the purchase of my Elise in 2007 (with only 2k miles on it). I owned it since 1989, restored it over 10 (!) years, then drove it for 6 years. I became concerned about my safety, as everyone here in suburban metro Atlanta drives monster trucks/SUV's and the Elan would be no match for them in a crash.

The Elan was a great driver's car, with 50/50 weight distribution, fantastic steering, and a rifle-bolt feel to the shifter. The Elise is different due to the mid-engine layout and thus the shifter doesn't have that same direct connection to the gearbox. The steering is a wash, as both have the same telepathic feel that Lotus is famous for. I don't come back from a drive in the Elise smelling like petrol like I did in the Elan. If you ever wonder how well modern emissions control systems work, just get behind a car from the 50's/60's in traffic. Ugh.

The Elise has a much greater performance envelope, as it has a better power/weight ratio, better grip, brakes, tires, etc. It's also much easier to own, even though I could fix most anything on the Elan, there's just much more to do. It was a 40+ year old car that was not engineered to modern standards, so little things would go wrong even though I did a total nut/bolt restoration. All I do with the Elise is keep up with fluid/filter changes and wash it when needed.

Hopefully your Zetec and suspension mods will solve some of the problems I experienced with my Elan. The old T/C engine was advanced in some respects for its time, but it was a compromised design. The valve guides were rubbish and could last somewhere between 5k and 100k miles. The water pump issue has been somewhat solved by modern technology, but there are other issues.

Nonetheless, it's a great car, but just different than the Elise. Both have their charms and you're fortunate to be able to own them at the same time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts