The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was searching for an aftermarket exhaust for my lotus elise and saw this electric exhaust on ebay selling at $165. Does this really work???

Product Description:
This NEW electric exhaust cutout system is specifically designed and made to enhance the performance, sound, and power of your vehicle with the flip of the toggle switch! This can Increase your Horsepower 20+! You can weld this 2.5" exhaust cutout anywhere after the header of the vehicle. To open the cutout you simply flip the switch and it will open your exhaust for a easier exhaust flow, more power and of course the loud rumble of the exhaust. If your vehicle is run of a dual exhaust system, please rememeber that you will need two exhaust cutouts.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Absolutly, best thing since sliced bread.
If you get two of them, installed in series, you'll get 40HP...

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
These were used by street racers back in the day. Of course they were manually operated and are called dump valves. Basically you pushed a lever which would eliminate your cat and muffler and blow the exhaust (and flames) out the side of the car. I know in California the tracks in the area require mufflers and it is illegal to run on the streets.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Absolutly, best thing since sliced bread.
If you get two of them, installed in series, you'll get 40HP...
Be careful though if you install them in parallel by accident you only get 10hp :(

Saketome:
No they don't give you 20hp. Good old fashion eBay BS.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
well its just an electric cutout, so it could in fact work. Its not an 45 watt electric supercharger or anything silly. I am not sure how you would plumb the piping for an elise. I guess you could make something pretty trick with a naked rear. I am not sure there is that much power to be gained by bypassing the muffler and cat, without some sort of tune.

Lots of people have been using similar things for many years. This is just cheap ebay version. The car will be very loud or course.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
All save for the switch it looks to be a nice kit... if that is what you need.

I just went the route of removing the heavy muffler and not needing an electrical switch added to my cabin lol :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Even good electric cutouts are notorious for leaking (and sometimes dying) over time. Honestly one of the last things I would buy from eBay would be an electric cutout. I generally dislike cutouts anyways... too damn loud (and that's coming from a guy with a straight-through 3" exhaust on 4-cylinder).

While I wouldn't be surprised if a cutout actually made some power on an Elise, I'd wager it doesn't make 20hp on an NA 2zz.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
definately, I know 2 or 3 guys who have done cutouts and I think every one of them had issues eventually.

If you really want a cutout for some reason, I think mechanical is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
euro rover s2 cars have electric bypass valves on the exhaust... this is not "new" for the elise.... and certainly not 20 hp! lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, i just saw this on ebay and just wanted to know if its fake or real. Thanks for the info guys, now i know it will just make the car noisy and 20+ hp is not attainable.

Another question:
-When you open the cutoff valve will the ecu immediately adapt to it?(give you 1 to **hp?)
-If you open and close it frequently wont it affect/mess your ecu reading?

·
Registered
305 Posts
And it will most likely mess with your oxygen sensors and start throwing codes(depending how close you mount it after the sensor...)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
And more importantly, you will need a tune which can handle the open exhaust. Otherwise, you will simply run lean, lose HP and potentially damage your engine.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The exhuast on our cars is so short that your not really bypassing all the much. Maybe what, 30" of pipe? Most cars have 6-8 feet of exhaust. Thats why we can make over 300HP on 2.5" exhuast while most cars are using 3". We don't have the length so overall the "restriction" is less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts