The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to improve the reception of the wireless backup camera I installed recently. (sometimes the picture is great, sometimes horrible) The antenna in the camera is heat shrunk to the first 12" of the power wire. I stripped it to see if I can extend the antenna. (is that a good idea?)

here is what I found after stripping away the heat shrink tubing: braided copper conductor wire with clear insulation attached to a metal cylindrical thingy with a tiny gauge wire sticking out the top of the metal cylindrical thingy.
1. what is that cylinder for?
2. Can I just soldier a piece of wire to the end of the thin wire to improve the radio signal?

pic attached

Attachments

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Rather than modify the wiring, I'd try different locations (move away from interference, e.g., alternator).

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never mind... I just tried it for the heck of it and it worked! I soldered a piece of wire to the end of the thin wire. I think the problem is that the engine (and probably the alternator) sits between the camera and the GPS+LCD and the antenna is only 12" so there is no way to reposition the antenna for better reception. with the added length wire, I was able to move the new antenna wire to clear the bulk of th engine.
for reference this is the setup I have

1 - 3 of 3 Posts