The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 - Elise...

I ran over a train track a bit too fast...It hit with a rather large "BANG" sound...and bottomed out the suspension...

Several things have happened as a result...

a.) The wheels punched holes into the front of both of the wheel-arch liners... (no biggie, replaceable part...

b.) when I turn on the ignition, the running lights don't turn on anymore...At first the driver side worked but the passenger side didn't...now neither come on...
BUT... If I press the light switches in the car, all the exterior lights are working properly, including the high beam...

I just need to remember to turn the lights off...

c.) this is the weird one...starting the car...
I press the key fob...turn on the ignition...press in the clutch... and "poof" the engine turns over...
No more pressing the engine button...
I'm not sure it's a bad thing... just weird...

d.) Steering wheel feels a bit "vibey" but I haven't had the car long enough to know if that was the way it felt before the "BIG-BANG". When I press in the clutch, the steering wheel vibes disappear...so it seems connected to the motor (which has the motor mount inserts installed).

e.) There is a strange, intermittent rattle coming from behind the radio/A/C area...it rattles for a while then stops...

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Devlin

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The electrical issues are indeed different but not something to panic over just yet. The "vibey" steering on the other hand is something you should get looked at real soon before it escalates into something more serious. You may have damaged the steering rack in some fashion. While getting that checked you may want to have someone with the knowhow check out the rest of the front end. If the hit was hard enough there may be other issues lurking.
As for the rattle, you've probally dislodged some item in the nose that is now moving around.
Simply put, take the car to a good shop and let them check it out before anything else breaks loose or you get into an accident because of a suspension failure.

2006 - Elise...

I ran over a train track a bit too fast...It hit with a rather large "BANG" sound...and bottomed out the suspension...

Several things have happened as a result...

a.) The wheels punched holes into the front of both of the wheel-arch liners... (no biggie, replaceable part...

b.) when I turn on the ignition, the running lights don't turn on anymore...At first the driver side worked but the passenger side didn't...now neither come on...
BUT... If I press the light switches in the car, all the exterior lights are working properly, including the high beam...

I just need to remember to turn the lights off...

c.) this is the weird one...starting the car...
I press the key fob...turn on the ignition...press in the clutch... and "poof" the engine turns over...
No more pressing the engine button...
I'm not sure it's a bad thing... just weird...

d.) Steering wheel feels a bit "vibey" but I haven't had the car long enough to know if that was the way it felt before the "BIG-BANG". When I press in the clutch, the steering wheel vibes disappear...so it seems connected to the motor (which has the motor mount inserts installed).

e.) There is a strange, intermittent rattle coming from behind the radio/A/C area...it rattles for a while then stops...

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Devlin

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is your car a sport pack car?

If so, the vibration in the steering wheel is likely a bent wheel out of balance. The sport pack wheels are rather light and can be damaged in a hard impact. If you hit something hard enough to trash the wheel liners, this could be the case for sure.

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Don't go over train tracks so fast.
....unless you're in a train.

The a/c control box may have come loose, so remove the rh access panel and shine a light in there to ensure it's still mounted firmly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts