The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with the running lights/associated circuity on my Elise causing fuse 16 to blow. It started two months back as maybe once a week, depending on tire inflation/heavy bumps, but has increased to whenever I press the top switch to turn them on.

Playing the game of trying things so far, I have searched the fourm a bit, and not had very much luck with finding a similar situation. I had the dealer go over it a bit to try and figure out why it could be doing that, which the mechanic thought switchpack was the most logical choice.

This is a 2005 Elise, Non-touring, non-sport pack, w/stage 2 lotus exhaust, and there is 71k miles on it (11k since I bought it and brought it to pittsburgh in April of this year).

As you can guess, there's a lot of bumps around here which I try to avoid. Some of these roads feel like death and sometimes not be avoided, ever drive a lotus on an old brick road?

The Symptoms are Fuse 16 blowing, which makes:
Front running lights,
Front side markers,
Rear side makers,
Rear running lights,
Gauge lights, (officer, i can't see how fast i'm going)
"Comfort"(fans/ac) center panel lights

I've done diagnosing of changing the switch pack module (dealer had one in stock, how about that?)
Unplugging rear/rear side lights at their harness plugs.

Luckily it is in a stable state (of the fuse blowing instantly upon pressing the switch to turn them on) for diagnosis. Not that I want to, but there are very helpful lotus owners around here with experience removing clams that have offered to help with such a task. I do have the wiring diagrams also, even highlighted from the switch pack out to ground.

Has anyone had any experience of similar issue? Maybe offer some troubleshooting advice? I would like to try to remedy this issue before I have to stop driving it and hide it for winter, which is unfortunately coming...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just had this happen. It was the license plate lights and wiring, burned to a crisp being just behind the muffler. I replaced the lights with units from a regular car parts store.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Found this post and went straight to the license plate lights. They were fried along with the wiring. I guess over time the exhaust heat melts the lights and wiring. Sure glad I found this post before pulling my hair out trying to track it down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts