The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone can point me to a good place to pick up the positive side of the battery as well as ground near the front of the Elise ? Some cars that have rear mounted batteries have these remote positive locations that can be used to jump start the car and also to connect accessories and I was looking for something like that on the Elise.

TIA.-

·
Registered
818 Posts
from thelooks of it and in the manual it only shows the battery in the back. and there is not alot of room to jump it if you need to.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hollywood,

Thanks for the response. I'm not trying to jump the car, I'm installing a set of driving lights and need a place to coonect to the battery positive and ground. I don't want to borrow power from the headlights since they are controlled by the stalk and also because doing so would increase the load on the wiring and the fuse so the best way is to find a positive of the battery somewhere near the front otherwise I'll need to borrow power from something.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I thought I remember hearing a while ago that all Elises came pre wired for driving lights. Though, that was long before any of them were delivered here. But, maybe there are some extra wires already lying around up there. :)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
usofrob said:
I thought I remember hearing a while ago that all Elises came pre wired for driving lights. Though, that was long before any of them were delivered here. But, maybe there are some extra wires already lying around up there. :)
The newer Elises will all be prewired. Early deliveries for some reason were not. Somewhere around the serial number in the 200s, they started including a harness for driving lights.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
Anyone can point me to a good place to pick up the positive side of the battery as well as ground near the front of the Elise ?
Power: inside the dashboard is the main power cable directly from the battery in the back. At least 50A spare capacity according to Lotus.

Or you could check out the relay and fuse boxes and pick up a reasonably big power feed from there.

Ground: Tricky.. There should be a ground point on the inside of the chassis rail at the driver's side under the service/access panel.

Problem is that this point is incredibly obstructed by the heater box on LHD cars (ground points are not changed on RHD vs. LHD cars), so it's practically impossible to get to without disassembing pretty much the entire front end of the car.

You could splice into some of the ground cables that come from this point though.

As the car is glued you can only really use the driver's side chassis rail as a reliable ground point (in the back there's another one where the engine and battery is attached). All other aluminum chassis parts in the car only have a rivet/glue connection to the ground points, which (obviously) is not very good for conductivity.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arno,

Thanks for that. Yesterday I had to start putting the car back together to get it ready for todays autocross so I didn't get the lights done; however, I had decided to run a cable all the way to the back of the car to get to connect directly to the battery but stopped at the firewall. Tomorrow night I'll work on finding the power on the dashboard that you suggested. Regarding the ground, you say the only reliable side is the drivers but is that the left hand or right hand side of the car? Remember we drive on the opposite side here. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
Regarding the ground, you say the only reliable side is the drivers but is that the left hand or right hand side of the car?
Left.

You should see the ground strap attachment point on the chassis beam in the engine bay if you look down. There's a mirror-image of that one at the front of the car, but hidden away quite far.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts