The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I pulled into my garage and smelled something electrical but could not at all determine where it was coming from. Any suggestions? I turned the car off and let it sit a few and restarted it and didn't smell it as bad but I'm not sure if it was residual from the first time I noticed it. Very unique smell and I have never had that come from the car. Is there any known wiring / fuse issues that have similar symptoms?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Could be fan resistor pack going bad....did you have the AC or fan running? try driving for awhile with fan off and clear the smell out then turn fan on and see if smell returns...try the same with your audio system.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I carry a small fire extinguisher in mine. Probably will never use it, but just in case. My guess would have been the resistor pack too, but since you don't use the A/C, yea maybe the custom radio install

·
Registered
233 Posts
My AC doesn't work so I don't run the fans at all. The stereo is a custom install and the sub sits in the trunk, I wonder if something wire wise went south on me. I hope not...
Ugh, I hate that smell...you never forget it.

I'd start with the aftermarkets...also, if you can get your hands on a heat gun, it'll make the hunting process much quicker. (I can't see where you're located, but I have a heat gun if you need help)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Er, just saw illinois....good luck!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Like one of those IR red dot temperature guns? I have one at work I can 'borrow'. Do I just start pointing it at wires or something?
Yup, if it's hot enough to smell, I bet you could find it with that gun. I 'borrowed' one for a similar situation a while ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts