The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a new full hd plasma tv that I hooked to my PS3 with HDMI connector. When I go to the PS3's tv parameter and I put in 1080P, screen turns to black and obviously, something between the PS3 and TV doesn't work because of that.

According to my PS3, 1080i works fine. Why can't I get 1080p? Tv really is a FullHD (Panasonic 42-pz77u)... Any idea? :confused:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you have an AV receiver placed between the PS3 and Panny 42PZ77U? If so, you might need to set the receiver's HDMI port on "pass through" mode.

Ben

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
pz77u is a Panasonic TV.....just FYI lol. I just hooked up my buddy's new samsung FPT5884 with his PS3 and as soon as we turned the PS3 on, it changed itself to 1080p.

Make sure you dont have the old multi-AV still plugged in, and make sure you have the latest firmware version.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Some HDMI Cables have been known to have issues with 1080P as well.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
if you are certain the tv is 1080p, then try switching cables and see what happens.
it should work..:shrug:
how frustrating.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So in the setup section on your PS3, you set it to use the HDMI cable and set it to 1080P? And you plugged the HDMI directly to the TV?

Very strange. It should work.

You should not have to use anything but the HDMI cable either. HDMI runs both audio and video.

Maybe it is a setting on the TV?

What games did you get for the PS3? I am looking for something to do with my free time (late evenings)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Try a different cable there are some problems with HDMI versions and different cable.

My PS3 plugged into my Samsung TV with an HDMI went straight to 1080p as well.

·
Banned
874 Posts
I thought only the xbox was true 1080p???

PS3 is only 1080i...
PS3 IS WAAAY BETTER THAN XBOX360

sorry dont want to hijack:)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
needs HDMI 1.3 or better, both tv and cable.
This sounds plausible.

How can I tell my cable is 1.3? is it supposed to be written on the cable somewhere?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
should be listed as such, maybe tested to +340Mhz, or as catergory 2. (tv and cable)

afaik the ps3 only needs 1.3a or better.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know how to change from 24fps to 60fps on the PS3.

Apparently (talking to my TV vendor) this could be the problem.

·
Registered
856 Posts
There is an HDMI full and limited... Mine is on full. You can try that too.

Go to settings and Display settings

The first line will tell you what signal the PS3 is sending (for instance, mine says Current Output Resolution 1080p).

If yours says 1080p, then it is your HDMI cable or TV that is the problem, not the PS3.

What brand HDMI did you buy? How much did you spend on it?

I love Panasonic by the way. Their service is not tops though, but you could try to call them. Go to panasonicdirect.com and see if there is a service #.

Also, the HDMI cable has been a known issue. Rumor is that some are faster than others. the HD signal is VERY big, so it needs a cable that can handle all of that information. 1080p is basically double the information from 1080i.

Gotta go to bed now...

Dave

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
99.9% chance it's the cables. I've never had as many problems with various cables as I have with HDMI cables. They're very fragile at the connectors (one bad pin can ruin your whole day) and many TVs/cable boxes/Blu-Ray players have trouble communicating with each other with that damn HDCP (high definition content protection) protocol enabled.

It's gotta be the cables.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
very few things run at 1080p @ 60FPS its a staggering amount of data

bluray is 24FPS, some PS3 games run 60FPS 1080P like GT5 replays, theres a handful that support it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna get a new cable. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I went and bought a big ass super duper bestest mega Monster HDMI cable.

And it works! :clap:

1080p baby yeah! :coolnana:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
So, I went and bought a big ass super duper bestest mega Monster HDMI cable.

And it works! :clap:

1080p baby yeah! :coolnana:

It's always the cables!

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts