The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new on here & I have searched the forum for an answer to my question but not found it. Sorry if I missed it..

I have owned a 2.0 mx5 for the last two years & enjoyed it a lot, I lowered it & fitted Advan neovas all round which improved the handling no end, I thought I had my perfect car.... then I drove an Elise !

Took one out for a drive with a salesman but only got a 10 min drive around the block which didn't tell me much about the car at all. Got back home & hired a 111r for a whole day & I've not stopped thinking about it since !
It cost a small fortune but it was so worth it.

I sold the Mazda last night & am now saving & looking for an Elise. I liked the performance of the 111r but it was the handling & especially the steering that won me over.
So.... my question is would the 1.6 be enough after driving the 111r ? It has about the same power to weight ratio as my mazda which had very average performance or am I missing the point & is the 1.6 plenty good enough. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who owns one.

Thanks. Andy

·
Registered
560 Posts
Are you trying to compare a Mazda to a Lotus Elise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not at all, they are vastly different cars to drive. In a straight line the Elise 1.6 & my old mazda would appear to have about the same performance & as my mazda never felt quick I'm wondering if owners of the new 1.6 Elise found the performance lacking a little or found it to be enough to keep them entertained.

Andy

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 111R's are a bit faster and makes them a bit more fun. But do not think the 1.6's are boring. I did the Lotus driving academy in a 1.6, was a fun little car and plenty capable. If you are a track junkie and do not like having your @ss solidly handed to you by hot hatches then then rather get a 111R (then only good drivers in hot hatches are a worry). Please also note that I am at altitude and the turbos compensate for the crappy hot hatches...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I guess I dont understand the question.

Mines a 1.8 litre, 2005 Lotus Elise.
It'll blow a Mazda off the road.
It's very quick. Super charging would make it a monster.

·
Registered
653 Posts
No the 1.8 with 190 hp.. 2004 to 2011 had this motor.. You will be happy with this motor.. And I promise you will never say the word Miata ever again

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
1.8 r or sc were the only options in the us

1.6 and a new 1.8sc are the current available options and only in the uk

This is a us centric site to seloc would be your best option if you're in Europe

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i'd say 1.6 if you are paying $7/gallon for petrol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hate to say it but the 1.6 1ZR is really weak, even if you think the 1.8 1ZZ was...

Many customers were disappointed and moved to the SC Kit (Komo-Tec) or just waited to get the new Elise S (which we also already tuned :D)...

·
Back to the Future, again
6,175 Posts
Well, it depends on what you are going to do with it.

People talk all day long about needing power but it doesn't do you any good if you can't lay it down well.

I always rode big honkin' liter bikes and always wanted more power, then I tried racing on a small v-twin with less than half the power of my big race bike and at full power and pushing it one hundred percent on the track, it is more than enough to get you in trouble and you actually learn more and can ride better with a smaller horsepower bike.

Now I took it another step further and got a race bike that is 1/3 the power and learning more about handling than anything else. That's where the real fun is. Anyone can punch it and go fast in a straight line, but putting the power down and keeping it open and carving that perfect line is way more satisfying.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi! I'm the proud owner of an Elise 1.6. Just a little background: I'm from Singapore and I came from a MR2 Spyder. Am residing in the US these few months and got a Corvette here. Can't wait to get home to my elise.

Most responses to the 1.6 here are totally understandable, but may not apply to you. I sold off the MR2(or Mr-S as it is called in Singapore) a day before i collected my Elise so the impressions of both were still quite fresh. The biggest and most pleasurable change for me was how the elise chassis was so much more capable. The first day i took the 1.6 out, it was apparent that the handling is light years ahead of the mr2, which i believe might be comparable to a stock miata that you would have. Acceleration was nothing to shout about, but to me that would be missing the point.

I've been driving the corvette in the US since may this year, and yes, every other car here in general is much more powerful than what you would find in say Europe or Asia. The 1.6 and maybe even the stock 111R will/might feel inadequate here, and other users are right to give their opinion as such, given that it is, after all, an american forum.

So look at your local driving environment. Personally i bought this car to enjoy it myself on the twisties. I don't feel inadequate on my own local roads because the other cars here are much smaller, and also because i don't give a damn about being faster than others. The engine is more than capable of giving you a good time on the proper roads the car was built for anyway.

Of course, if you could, do take a look at the supercharged Elise S. The additional power is always welcome. In fact, I am planning to do the komo-tec kit later this year which is good for 200HP. However, for most purposes, the 1.6 is an absolute blast and definitely an upgrade over the miata. Afterall, feel and driver satisfaction is not something that can be expressed in numbers. Why didn't I get the 1.8? Due to my own local taxes, the 1.8 is an additional $60K USD over a car that already costs $180k USD. So the 1.6 is a perfect entry point into Lotus for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts