The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the Lotus world, and looking for advice to go faster!
I already know I need to learn H&T and also get new tires (those have expired)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Get some fresh tires and you should see your lap times drop substantially. You're about 5-10mph slow at most apexes vs. what you should be to hit with a set of Bridgestone RE71Rs. Also, if you're OK with revving out your engine, don't shift up to 5th on the straight. You can pull about 117mph in 4th before the rev limiter with 24.7" OD tires. I think I hit 114mph at Laguna in 4th gear with a bone stock powertrain.

Regarding the ST-5... perhaps it's time to open it up and replace the packing material? I've gone to Laguna a handful of times with my ST-5 muffler and don't get flagged. Do you have an aftermarket catalytic converter or a cat delete?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback . Agreed on 4th gear on the straight. Tires were since replaced by a new Yokos slicks, just need the tracks to re-open!
For the ST5 I had just replaced the packing material and still got flagged at 92.1 (90 db limit). I do have a high flow cat + PPE header which may be the culprit.
I got a small U bend that should help, let's see.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Good to hear that ST-5 typically don't get flagged at Laguna. I've been meaning to spice it up a little bit since I've been on the factory Stage 3 exhaust forever.
I never bothered with the exhaust since I didn't want to futz around replacing to quieter exhaust or adding a laguna pipes whenever I do 90db days...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jdawson
Went back to Laguna yesterday with fresh tires, laptime dropped by 3.5 sec!
During the SIP I did the 2 pot conversion at the rear, removed ABS as and booster and installed a brake bias cage. Very different brake feel, took couple sessions to adjust. Still need to learn heel toe badly...

·
Registered
526 Posts
@jdawson
Went back to Laguna yesterday with fresh tires, laptime dropped by 3.5 sec!
During the SIP I did the 2 pot conversion at the rear, removed ABS as and booster and installed a brake bias cage. Very different brake feel, took couple sessions to adjust. Still need to learn heel toe badly...
Much better lap time! What are you running for suspension, alignment and wheel/tire sizes?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohlins DFV compression & rebound adjustable, 16” with 190 tires at front, 17” with 230 at rear, -2 deg front camber & -2.5 deg rear camber

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Nice videos, curious about your Steering wheel, what’s the model, and how do you like it. I am thinking of adding that to my mods.

·
Administrator
1,424 Posts
Great video that's quite an exciting track with the elevation changes along with esses! I think where I run it might be six ft of change if that. Richard

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,413 Posts
Wow, great lap times! I think best I've done in my Elise at Laguna is around 1:51? I'm a slowpoke by comparison. Maybe next time I can get some pointers from you!

Car looks really nice, does it have a cage? Got more pics of the car?

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Also noted your are a gear higher than I am in a few corners such as T2 (3rd gear), T6 (4th gear) -- clearly you are carrying more speed but do you find dropping so low in the RPMs especially going up the back hill to the corkscrew is getting you out of the powerband?

I should try it your way for sure!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Also noted your are a gear higher than I am in a few corners such as T2 (3rd gear), T6 (4th gear) -- clearly you are carrying more speed but do you find dropping so low in the RPMs especially going up the back hill to the corkscrew is getting you out of the powerband?

I should try it your way for sure!
I’d probably loose time dropping an extra gear, plus the risk to upset the rear end without proper rev match.
T6 is arguable, but I feel staying in 4th forces me to work on the momentum and brake as little as possible.
Downshifting at that entry could be risky, it’s a tricky turn to get right.
I also have an ECU reflash to allow the 2nd cam to kick in earlier.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
T6 I always struggle because I am either bouncing off the rev limiter right as I go under the bridge (in 3rd) or I upshift to 4th a little before the bridge, only to downshift back to 3rd for T6. I feel 3rd gives me a better drive up the hill but I'm sure I am over-slowing too much.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think your T6 is reasonable. It's an awkward speed/gear region for an Elise.

Watching your lap a few times, I'd say slowing less for T4 and T10 could net you some good lap time improvements. Your speed through the corkscrew is pretty good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think your T6 is reasonable. It's an awkward speed/gear region for an Elise.

Watching your lap a few times, I'd say slowing less for T4 and T10 could net you some good lap time improvements. Your speed through the corkscrew is pretty good.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, great lap times! I think best I've done in my Elise at Laguna is around 1:51? I'm a slowpoke by comparison. Maybe next time I can get some pointers from you!

Car looks really nice, does it have a cage? Got more pics of the car?
Thanks! I feel good about the progress! Car used to run in Lotus Cup production class by previous owner, which means solid track prep including FIA cage, good amount of weight reduction but drivetrain remains stock and aero improvement is minimal. The car can probably do a 1:40/1:41 in the current setup, I just have a lot to learn 😃
Currently weights 1840 lb with full tank. Pictures from Thursday:

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Great looking car. It really works with those volk wheels!

Not me, but a former Lotustalker doing a 1:45 in a mostly stock Elise for comparison. RA-1 tires and Nitron single adjustables.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Here's my comparison lap of 1:41.5 when my car was stockish. Just suspension work and stock powertrain. Weight was ~1980 lbs without driver. Tires are RE71Rs, 205/50/15, 245/40/17.

... and now that I watch it again, I did downshift into 3rd for T6. Huh.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts