The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has specific details, since my delivery will be so close to 2005. I was wondering, if I was better off waiting for the 2006?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Specific details? :p

Let's see-

the official unveiling of the car at the LA auto show was only a couple of weeks ago, at which time they were STILL fiddling with interior trim decisions and various bits and pieces to finalize the car before production.

The status of the LSD inclusion remains to be seen, and if the early comments come to fruition, we'll see that appear on the option list later this year.

My point?

With such limited specifics in terms of nailing the remaining details of the CURRENT car, it's a little early to be guessing at what's around the corner.

Having said that, the federal waivers (that are supposed to be approved "any day now") will temporarily exempt the 2005 models from some of the bumper and headlight requirements, so it's pretty much a given that the 2006 will be redesigned to comply with more stringent bumper and headlight requirements. Best guess is that the headlights on the 2006 will be mounted higher, and 2.5 mph bumpers will certainly add weight and visible bulk to the design of the car.

But, who knows? I haven't heard any rumors about a specific proposed design for the 2006, and I guarantee that the folks at Hethel are still scrambling with all available resources to ensure that the Federal Elise (2005 model) will start shipping on time, and with a minimum of glitches- the 2005 model is what they are focusing on right now, and when that's under control and up to speed, then we may start hearing rumors about where the 2006 model is headed.

But, then again, Lotus has a reputation for being somewhat tightlipped about upcoming models, perhaps in part to reduce the "Osborne effect".

I'm curious too, but looking forward to owning a 2005!

-Knute

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I absolutely do not see a major diff between 05 and 06 model years. I imagine they'll make changes upgrades to specific areas/issues discovered during the 05 year.

The exemptions will be good to at least model year 07 (late 2006) and unless they get extension (doubtful in view of the numbers to be built) you'll probably see a total redesign then.
CHris

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I very BRIEFLY had the same thought, but it's kinda like waiting to buy a new computer - when do you just jump in? There's always something new, or better or faster in the offing. I figured why wait?

If some fantastic new development comes along or Lotus gets past some initial manufacturing FUBARS I can always sell it and probably not get hurt much (or if I do who cares?)

This car is WAY TOO GOOD for me to seriously consider waiting. Besides, having the first one on the block, or in town, or in the county is worth something I'd say.

·
Registered
84 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I absolutely do not see a major diff between 05 and 06 model years. I imagine they'll make changes upgrades to specific areas/issues discovered during the 05 year.

The exemptions will be good to at least model year 07 (late 2006) and unless they get extension (doubtful in view of the numbers to be built) you'll probably see a total redesign then.
CHris
Hmmm...

I guess it depends on the interpretation of the following excerpt from the waiver request:

"Because Lotus anticipates introducing an all- new, fully compliant Elise in 2006, the projected number of vehicles sold until the introduction of the new 2006 model could not justify this investment."

see this other thread: http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1042

Lotus refers to it as "the new 2006 model", but based on discussion in the referenced thread, it does make sense that they are likely referring to the 2007 model introduced in 2006. The waiver is good for "not more than three years", ostensibly from the date of filing, which means 10/03 to 10/06...

-Knute

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is 2.5 years of production. They start selling 2005 models 2nd qrter of 2004, by 10 06 they will be selling the 2007 model which will meet regulations.

first gen elise will be unique due to regulation exmp. 2nd gen will have nicer styling more n americanised. then two more models will apear, high end to replace espit and an m250 type which will be in the middle. this is the business plan to start making money.
succes of fed elise will determain public awareness of the product.

the fed elise imo is a loss leader with current state of us $. 2006 models might see more than average price increase but not as high as dealer markups. lotus have said they will produce 2200 per year for a total of 4400. the bmw m3e30 first run was 5000 so they could qualify min req for racing the car.

4400 is a very small number since most estimates claim 2nd year will be sold out by now.

2006 will have evolved production process and minor improvements. an exige with 300hp will make a big diff and some of that power (or all) migh trickle to 2006 model but at a pretty penny.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
banTT0r said:
There is 2.5 years of production. They start selling 2005 models 2nd qrter of 2004, by 10 06 they will be selling the 2007 model which will meet regulations.

I hear the next change for the Elise is Model year 2007. But as you have stated Lotus could and probably will come out with the car in Mid 2006.

2006 will have evolved production process and minor improvements. an exige with 300hp will make a big diff and some of that power (or all) migh trickle to 2006 model but at a pretty penny.
Next year Lotus plans to release the US Exige and rumor has it that it will have close to 300HP with a supercharged 4 cylinder.

Don't forget guys Proton now ownes Lotus and Proton has a 10 year plan for the US market with a new car coming out every year. With Proton owning the company this should happen. Lets just say Lotus now has a wide open check book to develop and manufacture new cars whenever they please. This sounds awesome to me:)

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
How much would a 300hp Exige cost?

More than I probably can afford is the answer. :(

I'll just have to stick to making a 400hp Elise. Anyone want to donate? :) (not kidding)

·
Registered
327 Posts
hermanslotus said:
OneFastMiata said:
How much would a 300hp Exige cost?

For the US Exige we are looking at a $60,000 plus car. It should be a land rocket. I am expecting it to be around $65,000.I may be wrong with that estimate since it might even be higher than that.

Best Wishes,
Mitch
Too rich for my blood. Maybe someday. Do you think we'll be able to retrofit or add a supercharger (like the one proposed for the Exige) to the Elise engine? Or is it just way too complicated for that?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
Too rich for my blood. Maybe someday. Do you think we'll be able to retrofit or add a supercharger (like the one proposed for the Exige) to the Elise engine? Or is it just way too complicated for that?
Ofcourse, it is do able. We may have to change the pistons to lower compression, but it should work. We would also have to change the valve springs. In these Toyota motors they are the weak link. Poor design. What I mean by that is they are weak in spring rate.

Nice line of current cars. Love the Ducati. I was in Australia for the 2003 Moto GP at Philip Island and I met Troy. What an awesome weekend that was. Too bad he fell ( actually Kocked out of the race by Marco Melandri). It was a scary moment.
Also love the E30 M3 as I have owned two of them and I still have my second one, but it is a full blown race car only.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
132 Posts
I spoke at some length with Roger Becker at the LA Auto Show, and he told me the DOT waivers are good for 3 years, so it's very highly unlikely that Lotus [read Proton] is going to spend the money to redesign the car any time soon.
As far as having a 300 HP Exige goes, I've got one and you can too. All it takes is getting rid of the stock engine and replacing it with a K20A Honda + supercharger. I put one on my K20A a month and a half ago and it made 292.4 HP at the wheel flanges on a Dynapack chassis dyno on pump gas at 7.5 psi. That translates to well over 300 HP at the crank, and next month I'll have a chage cooler setup ready to test that'll definitely get us past the 300 mark at the wheels. Needless to say the acceleration is outstanding.
Joe

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
As has been discussed at length before, you guys might want to actually drive the standard pokey ole 190 hp car before you make a decision about mods that cost thousands and you can't possibly live without.

Also, the waiver run to end of year 2006, which means you're looking at a major redesign in MY 2007. Some running changes and different/more options will come next year.

Chris

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Joe McCarthy said:
I spoke at some length with Roger Becker at the LA Auto Show, and he told me the DOT waivers are good for 3 years, so it's very highly unlikely that Lotus [read Proton] is going to spend the money to redesign the car any time soon.
As far as having a 300 HP Exige goes, I've got one and you can too. All it takes is getting rid of the stock engine and replacing it with a K20A Honda + supercharger. I put one on my K20A a month and a half ago and it made 292.4 HP at the wheel flanges on a Dynapack chassis dyno on pump gas at 7.5 psi. That translates to well over 300 HP at the crank, and next month I'll have a chage cooler setup ready to test that'll definitely get us past the 300 mark at the wheels. Needless to say the acceleration is outstanding.
Joe
Joe,

If you know anything about Lotus you'll know that the current S2 design has been around since 2000. The design will be 5 years old and from what everyone on this planet has heard they (Lotus with the blessing of Proton) plan on a new redo in model year 2007 which should be on sale sometime in 2006 year.

Good Luck with the Honda's,
Mitch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts