The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post after months gathering a ton of info from this great and knowledgeable forum!
I am looking to buy an Elise 2011R with low mileage and had 2 questions:
1-Radiator/ low coolant: Is the 2011 models OEM radiator also prone to get the leaking issues or has it been improved and is now a non-issue?
I found that the coolant reservoir level was low on this car but the engine looks clean, no smoke, no sign of a head gasket... I am thinking that it could be from a radiator leak on a car that has been sitting and rarely used?
2-Headlights: Is it "normal" to have some fog at the bottom of the headlights after the car has been sitting and idling for a while? Is it a potential concern or opportunity to discuss the price down?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I can't answer your question about the lights, but as far as the coolant system, you could alway do a pressure/vacuum test to see if there are any leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I was hoping to just be able to do a visual inspection, but may have no choice at the end... I will have to check the car again and have a close look at the radiator tanks to see if there is any trace of coolant leak.
Would love to hear if the issue is still a common issue for the 2011 model year.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
There is a high incidence of radiator failures, this does not mean they all fail. That radiator could last 10 years, or die the day after you buy it. There is really no way to tell. A new one is not huge money and is a worthwhile update if the clam is off for any reason.

I drove in heavy[heavy!] rain in my 07 Exige yesterday and the driver side headlight is suddenly fogged.

So, it happens, for various reasons and is, again, not a fatal error.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another quick question: How can I check if this car has a LSD on visual inspection?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Another quick question: How can I check if this car has a LSD on visual inspection?
Thanks to San, I can answer this one ! :)

I can also say, the S240 I just bought was the first one that I could look at the trans sticker and see the "L" as 3rd character. Had LSD as factory option per window sticker too.

Oh yes, I figured out one other way not mentioned in the link...less abuse, but you need to bring a jack. Jack up at the designated area (marked by the blue dot underneath, roughly at edge relative butt placement in the seat). With one side in the air, spin the rear tire with e-brake off and in neutral. If spins freely, open diff, it tough, or not possible.. it's an LSD as both sides are coupled...

·
Less is Better
2,564 Posts
ALL radiators with plastic end caps will eventually fail. Every car has this type of radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts