The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Elise: Adjusting the door.

Has anyone adjusted the doors? I have not found an answer on this website concerning this issue.

My driver side door is hitting the striker (the bolt that the latch clicks into) early. So, I want to adjust the tilt of the door just a bit to stop the door from riding on the striker before it clicks into position. 2 ways to adjust this problem.

1. Move the striker lower. Which I don't believe it can be done. A guy at the dealer said that they once adjusted one by slightly bending it. Bending is not really going to help in the long run, and that really isn't moving it. See the first diagram from LotusGarage.com

2. Adjust the hinge. I see that there are 4 bolts on the hinge. I tried to loosen them, but they seem really tight and I don't want to put much leverage on them if 1 wrench can't loosen them up. From the 2nd diagram, there is a part #22 that is a door hinge nut plate. Can its position be adjusted?

I am confused. I see adjustment slots on the bottom plate in the diagram, but not the top. Please reply if you know or might know how to fix this. I am afraid of stripping or damaging the hinge components if I don't do this right. All I want to do is adjust the door. The other door needs to be moved up as well to seal the window better.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
What he said! My passenger door is sagging a bit, hopefully there is a way to adjust the door at the hinge. :X

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have done it, as my door was also hitting the strike, and the strike is not really adjustable. You adjust the four bolts that hold the hinge on to the body. I used the top bolt closest to the interior as the pivot point, and just loosened it a teeny bit, and loosened the other ones more. The bottom bolts are the ones I wanted to move, so they were loosened more. Be careful not to get all of them too loose, or you might have to re-align the whole door. It is trial and error until you get it to the right point. :sad:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have done it, as my door was also hitting the strike, and the strike is not really adjustable. You adjust the four bolts that hold the hinge on to the body. I used the top bolt closest to the interior as the pivot point, and just loosened it a teeny bit, and loosened the other ones more. The bottom bolts are the ones I wanted to move, so they were loosened more. Be careful not to get all of them too loose, or you might have to re-align the whole door. It is trial and error until you get it to the right point. :sad:
the strike is adjustable just loosen it i think its a 17mm. carl

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Carl. This was too darn simple. Just loosen, position, and tighten. The striker is easy to adjust. I thought it was rigidly fixed but when it is loosened with a wrench, it moved about smoothly to a lower position. There must be a rough large hole on the other side of the large black washer. The passenger side issue was also helped by moving the striker. I found that the door's edges were not flush with the rear clam. The passenger door appeared to be a millimeter or two open. So, I just loosened the striker, moved it toward the interior, tightened, and now my door pulls flush with the body and the glass is tighter against the rubber seal. I haven't had to drive much with the top on all summer. So it will be interesting to see how well it seals now.

The guy at the dealer doesn't know what he was talking about. "Bending the striker" for a customer has to be the dumbest lie I have ever heard.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
When I did a search for "Door striker bolt Lotus", this was the only non-video link that looked pertinent... sorry to raise a dead thread but I wonder if adjusting the striker would be better/worse or less/more complicated than buying these?

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/16/48/anti-rattle-door-striker-pins/

At first I thought the occasional rattle from a big bump would be something I would have to use the above, slightly larger bolt to fix. But if the bolt moves around as soon as you loosen it... I wonder if a slightly larger bolt is really even needed at all? Sounds like you have to adjust the bolt no matter what as the spot where it screws in appears to be slightly "mobile" per what others have said above in this old thread.

Thoughts?

p.s. Hi everyone, been forever since I made a post here... damn real life and lethargy :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts