The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Elise that started it's life as naturally aspired. The first owner added a supercharger. To the best of my knowledge, he only upgraded the injectors and sent the ECU in for a new tune. There is nothing to indicate that he changed the camshafts. It recently occurred to me that more power could be available with a cam that was optimized for a forced induction setup. So here are my questions for the super intellects.

1) Is there a difference in the Lotus camshafts between factory NA and factory supercharged models. Different lobe geometry, therefore different part numbers?
2) Assuming there is a different cam part numbers between NA and supercharged factory models, would it be advantageous for me to change my camshafts?
3) Has anyone changed their NA camshafts for Lotus factory supercharged camshafts and noticed a difference?
4) Are there aftermarket camshafts that are optimized for supercharged 2ZZ engines in our cars.
5) Does anyone in the forum have first hand experience with changing their camshaft following an aftermarket supercharger installation and can they provide feedback.

Let me clearly state that I have driven both naturally aspired and my aftermarket supercharged Elise. I see a huge difference between the two. The drive-ability and throttle response is much better in my Elise. The difference is huge. I am just wondering if there is a huge, or even small, advantage to be gained by replacing my NA camshafts.

All comments welcomed! I am hoping for lots of commentary.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,599 Posts
I don't know the answers, but my guess is that the supercharger was just slapped onto the stock engine. I will be interested to see what the "Einsteins" have to say.

San

·
Administrator
1,808 Posts
Gain would be minimal unless you went and altered your valve train, porting and tune. Lots of $$ for the hp compared to the initial REV package. Several companies offer stage 2 and 3 cams and complete trick head assemblies are offered as well. You will need Fastworks tune upgraded as well.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, this is the kind of input I was looking for. Keep the comments coming smart people.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,385 Posts
I don't believe there is a difference in cams between the NA and Supercharged cars, you could look at part diagrams to see if there is a different part number...

If you're going to upgrade cams you might as well upgrade the entire head.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, and no. It is much less intrusive to change the camshafts because I don't have to drain the coolant, replace the head gasket, etc. However, I would probably replace valve springs, retainers, etc if I were to change the cams. I will do the research on camshaft part numbers to see if Lotus has a supercharged version of the cams. Thanks!

·
Administrator
1,808 Posts
The one thing you might want to do if you don't go full blown built head and tune is to get stock grind harder cam material to help with intake cam getting wiped. Many of the vendors sell them. When previous owner built this engine there wasn't as much selection as there is now and he went with OEM cam but had it cyro and heat treated. He then used quality aftermarket valve, springs and retainers to make engine as bulletproof as possible.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Is your supercharger intercooled? If not dont bother till you fix that as you can't make any reasonable power anyways.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is not intercooled. It does seem to make a big difference in torque. I was just looking for a li
The one thing you might want to do if you don't go full blown built head and tune is to get stock grind harder cam material to help with intake cam getting wiped. Many of the vendors sell them. When previous owner built this engine there wasn't as much selection as there is now and he went with OEM cam but had it cyro and heat treated. He then used quality aftermarket valve, springs and retainers to make engine as bulletproof as possible.
It sounds as if you know the history of my car! Please tell me more!

·
Administrator
1,808 Posts
No it used to belong to Trav34. Over the years he raced it he wiped several cams taking the engine out on the last one. He then built it for longevity not top hp. My signature tells all.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I have a 2005 Elise that started it's life as naturally aspired. The first owner added a supercharger. To the best of my knowledge, he only upgraded the injectors and sent the ECU in for a new tune. There is nothing to indicate that he changed the camshafts. It recently occurred to me that more power could be available with a cam that was optimized for a forced induction setup. So here are my questions for the super intellects.

1) Is there a difference in the Lotus camshafts between factory NA and factory supercharged models. Different lobe geometry, therefore different part numbers?
2) Assuming there is a different cam part numbers between NA and supercharged factory models, would it be advantageous for me to change my camshafts?
3) Has anyone changed their NA camshafts for Lotus factory supercharged camshafts and noticed a difference?
4) Are there aftermarket camshafts that are optimized for supercharged 2ZZ engines in our cars.
5) Does anyone in the forum have first hand experience with changing their camshaft following an aftermarket supercharger installation and can they provide feedback.

Let me clearly state that I have driven both naturally aspired and my aftermarket supercharged Elise. I see a huge difference between the two. The drive-ability and throttle response is much better in my Elise. The difference is huge. I am just wondering if there is a huge, or even small, advantage to be gained by replacing my NA camshafts.

All comments welcomed! I am hoping for lots of commentary.
1. No
2. N/A
3. N/A
4. Piper and MWR.
5. I've changed the cams in our racecars. The VVT has huge power and control over how the CAM functions in so far as effective overlap. There is a noticeable gain to be had but it is proportional to the the gains from the SC and tuning. Thus a TVS400 with big cams would have a bigger impact than an MP62 non-intercooled kit.

The old Kenny Dutweiller engine building approach applies. If you want to build a powerful forced-induction motor, start with a powerful NA motor. (There are exceptions and tweaks to this, but it is largely true).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts