The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a passenger airbag on/off switch for my elise(so I can take my 4 year old with me to car shows/weekend drives), and the company who makes these (AOI, a.k.a. Pro Gard) said their switches only work on 2 stage airbags, not 3 stage airbags. Does anyone know if the elise passenger side is a 2 stage airbag? Does anyone happen to know the brand of airbag?

Thanks!
Max

·
Registered
282 Posts
single stage airbag. that was one of the reasons beside crash test that stopped the sale of elise in North America.

·
Registered
282 Posts
you can take the airbag module out and look behind it. I believe its either KSS or BREED.

It is one thing to remove the airbag completely, bypassing the airbag wiring is another. If you have no idea what you are doing (and with your youngster in mind), I would STRONGLY advice against messing with the wiring of the airbag/explosive device. Even if you have disconnected the wires, the charge in the airbag remains after disconnection.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
you can take the airbag module out and look behind it. I believe its either KSS or BREED.

It is one thing to remove the airbag completely, bypassing the airbag wiring is another. If you have no idea what you are doing (and with your youngster in mind), I would STRONGLY advice against messing with the wiring of the airbag/explosive device. Even if you have disconnected the wires, the charge in the airbag remains after disconnection.
There is no way for the air bag to deploy without the 12v power signal sent from a SRS brain. Simply unplug the airbag or install properly designed shut off switch as found in many pick up trucks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the brand of airbags, much appreciated! And don’t worry, while I love to try a new diy, since this one has to do with my sons safety I’m going to entrust the installation of the switch to TJ at the lotus service center nuccio is starting up! That is, as long as I can confirm the switch AOI makes will work with kss or breed single stage airbags. I’ll report back when I find out!

Thanks again,

Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts