The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
TimMullen said:
Read the section about the alarm system. It should also be mentioned when they talk about the interior light (as in keep it in the down position or the alarm won't function properly).
Tim, you really should actually read the manual. It's true that having the light "up" is an issue but it's got nothing to do with the intrusion sensor. -poke-

Here is what it says about the interior light and how it affects the alarm:
• Lens rocked upwards; lamp is switched off.
NOTICE: Use this position only temporarily as required. Arming
the security alarm system with the lamp switched off may
exclude the doors from activating the alarm.

And cause the constant beep warning you that a sensor is already tripped. Evidently the alarm uses the same circuit for door opening that the light uses.

This is what the Elise manual says about the intrusion sensor:
Intrusion Sensing
A microwave sensor is mounted behind the cabin rear
bulkhead trim panel, and is able to detect substantial physical
movement within the cockpit, and trigger the alarm. Microwave
transmissions are blocked by metal objects, so it is important
not to shield the signal by placing such items on the bulkhead
ledge.
If desired, the alarm may be armed without the intrusion
sensor or battery interruption circuits being active by arming the
system in the usual way with the transmitter larger button, and
within 20 seconds, pressing the smaller button twice.

Finally, here is the mention of that sensor in the Cobra manual (p. 13)
Hyperfrequency module
When the system is armed, a microwave emission from the hyperfrequency module hidden in the passenger compartment will
ensure the volumetric protection of the vehicle.
For use on convertible vehicles, the volumetric protection will be stable even with the soft top, windows or sunroof left open.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Tyger said:
Tim, you really should actually read the manual. It's true that having the light "up" is an issue but it's got nothing to do with the intrusion sensor. -poke-
Actually I have read the Owner's Manual as well as the two Alarm Manuals, and the factory Service Manual - and various posts.

As indicated in the manual, the light should be up only temporarily. That is because it is interconnected to the motion sensor and the alarm. With the light "off" the power to the motion sensor appears to be interrupted and the alarm will get upset about it.

Besides reading the manual, search the various posts on this forum, and you will discover that, basically: The light down = the alarm works. The light up = alarm problems.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
TimMullen said:
As indicated in the manual, the light should be up only temporarily. That is because it is interconnected to the motion sensor and the alarm. With the light "off" the power to the motion sensor appears to be interrupted and the alarm will get upset about it.
You entirely miss my point that although the light is near the motion detector physically, it is NOT connected to the motion detector, it is connected to the door alarm circuit. That's in fact what the manual says, as you can see above if you read it.

Anyway, Rob was asking where the motion detector is mentioned in the manuals, and you said "it should also be mentioned when they talk about the interior light". However the motion detector is NOT ever mentioned when they talk about the light. That's all.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Tyger said:
You entirely miss my point that although the light is near the motion detector physically, it is NOT connected to the motion detector, it is connected to the door alarm circuit. That's in fact what the manual says, as you can see above if you read it.
It is also connected (in some weird way) to the alarm. The power that feeds the light also feeds the alarm's motion sensor. People have discovered that there is always a small amount of current flowing through the light, even when it is not glowing.

Bottom line is that if you have the light in any position but down, the motion sensor will cause errors with the alarm system - besides the fact that the door sensors won't be working either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
alarm problem

last nigth the alarm went of aparantly with no reason, but now when i lock the car after 5 seconds there is a continious beep. any suggestions on what's happening or how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
femagaca

when ours go off for no apparent reason, it really is "beggin for attention and wants to go out for a spin."

seriously though, your battery could be going low. do you use a tender of drive often enough? possible mouse walking around the interior too?

as for the continuous beep after locking, check the interior light behind the seats to make sure it is in the down position.

good luck
tom

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
Where did the Alarm manuals go??

Went looking for them, but they won't download!! Can someone bring them back??

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,399 Posts
Got the manuals Thanx, but typical of most manuals, I didn't find how to adjust settings?!! :shrug:Just want to inactivate the passive immobiliser unless I set alarm. Pain at the trac and when running errands or working on car!!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
A few weeks ago, in a different thread, I posted the Elise Alarm Manual in 2 parts: (1) owner's manual; and (2) installation manual. Because the installation manual was buried later in the thread, it seems that a lot of people didn't notice it -- the number of downloads for the owner's manual is a LOT higher than for the installation manual.

The installation manual contains TONS of great info on programming your alarm, so you really want to take a look at it.

So, for those who missed it, here are links to BOTH. Randy -- can we make this a "sticky", to go along with the sticky on the radio manuals?

Elise Alarm Installation Manual

Elise Alarm Owner's Manual
Am I the only one having a problem launching these two urls? I just get a blank page. :huh:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
can someone give me a hand on the electric locks, they will not go down when set, even if you use the lock button inside the car, but if you press them down the alarm will
button will unlock them with the key control or inside the car.

regards,
joe

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Check the orientation of the outside key opening, I believe it should be in a horizontal position. If it's not that, then it is the CDL module.
Michael
can someone give me a hand on the electric locks, they will not go down when set, even if you use the lock button inside the car, but if you press them down the alarm will
button will unlock them with the key control or inside the car.

regards,
joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just found this thread. Thanks for doing the research and posting it.
I just got my 05 Elise this week. I'm looking for the thread that tells me how to post pictures!

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am not able to download teh file 06de1425b.pdf properly, error on memory file.

Interesting stuff.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts