The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out yesterday checking out a few rides, when i came across a Toyota MR2 spyder. Not really done any driving in a small sports car before (or a manual either), but surprisingly using what i'd learnt from youtube it felt almost like second nature to me.
We started out in a parking lot (not too full), got into 3rd gear and without letting up, TOOK A U-TURN, with a surprisingly small radius. It felt amazing, with the top down and all. Drove it around for a little while, and really liked it.

Now, i noticed quite a lot of the stylings of this car are quite similar to the elise and I am guessing one way or the other, one of them was derived from the other (given the MR2 came first, i would guess the elise used some things from the MR2).

Now, it seems that the elise has more trunk space than the MR2 (only space was a compartment right behind the seat, and the tire space up front), right?

As far as handling goes, does someone know how they compare?

given the mr2's lower hp and higher weight, i would assume that the mr2 is a lot slower. is that correct?

Is the driving experience similar for these 2 vehicles?

I should add, i went there with absolutely no intention of buying, and left now strongly thinking about it!!!

Here is the MR2 i am talking about:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I test drove an MR2 just before getting the Elise. The acceleration was borerline feeble on the MR2. The cornering was competent and solid, but not in the same catagory as the Elise.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is the cornering on the elise easily noticeable better than the mr2? in a whole 'nother league? or is it just one of those things that a very experienced driver notices?
for the record, the only other sports car I drove was a mustang gt, so you can forgive my excitement with the cornering ability of the MR2

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Umm, the Elise is WORLDS different than an mr2. I used to drive my friends turbo mr2 when I was at school out in Wyoming. That thing had an unreasonable amount of power but the handling was nothing close to the Elise. Don't get me wrong, the mr2 handles well compared to a good amount of other cars... Just not even close to the Elise.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
According to the guy who parked his next to my Elise the other day, the MR2 spider basically blows away anything made by Lotus, for 1/4 the price.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
MotoGeek,

LOL, no other comment needed.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Umm, the Elise is WORLDS different than an mr2. I used to drive my friends turbo mr2 when I was at school out in Wyoming. That thing had an unreasonable amount of power but the handling was nothing close to the Elise. Don't get me wrong, the mr2 handles well compared to a good amount of other cars... Just not even close to the Elise.
By unreasonable, you mean too little, right?

According to the guy who parked his next to my Elise the other day, the MR2 spider basically blows away anything made by Lotus, for 1/4 the price.
and i take it he was probably just talking out his a**, right?

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
What state are you in? If you live somewhere in So.Cal you are more than welcome to stop by and try my Elise out ...with me in the passenger seat of course. There is nothing wrong with a MR2 spyder but when campared to the Elise its a secretaries car,period. There is a big weight to horsepower difference between the two cars that make one a cruiser kind of car and the other a track tool.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What state are you in? If you live somewhere in So.Cal you are more than welcome to stop by and try my Elise out ...with me in the passenger seat of course. There is nothing wrong with a MR2 spyder but when campared to the Elise its a secretaries car,period. There is a big weight to horsepower difference between the two cars that make one a cruiser kind of car and the other a track tool.
Wow, thats awfully kind of you, sadly i'm not in SoCal :( im in IL. Thanks for the clarification... guess i'm gonna hold out until i can atleast feel the elise... btw SY is my fave color of elise

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The older turbo MR2s had more grunt than the later Spider versions which had the 1zz-ge engine. The later spiders were lighter with better handling than earlier turbo MR2 models.

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
Wow, thats awfully kind of you, sadly i'm not in SoCal :( im in IL. Thanks for the clarification... guess i'm gonna hold out until i can atleast feel the elise... btw SY is my fave color of elise
Well that sucks! I was excited about keeping you on the Lotus path and preventing you from swaying away!:D Seriously I am glad you decided to wait until you drive a Elise before you make a final decision on which car to purchase. That way you can make a informed decision on which car is best suited to your needs. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

I own a 2005 MR2 Spyder and a 2008 Elise. Both cars are unique and similar at the same time. I had the MR2 before the Elise and loved the handling but it is underpowered. I've added some performance mods to it so that it is better, but still no match for the Elise. On the plus, the MR2 is more comfortable, the battery doesn't drain in a week of sitting, the front left light doesn't fly out at 60mph and do a dance on your hood, the A/C works, and it gets 30 MPG with spirited driving in town. Certain parts can be hard to find as only 1,000 were imported and when my hand brake cable started going I had to wait a week to get the parts as there was only one replacement cable in the whole US distribution system according to Toyota. On the other hand, no one takes pictures of my MR2, no one stops at every intersection to ask me what it is, how much it cost, how fast will it go, and the other dozen questions I get with the Elise. I live in Omaha with ice and snow in the winter and my MR2 with Blizzack tires is one of the funnest rides in town, it's never let me down! If you don't need big trunk space or care about 0-60 in over 6 seconds then the MR2 is a great, fun car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think Chiefs comments say it nicely. The MR2 is an everyday car, the Elise is a street legal race car. The Elise is for driving fast, hard and at high levels of performance. The MR2 is for pleasurable driving to work. They are VERY different animals. I would not compare them. The experiences are just too different. The MR2 has soft suspension, body roll, everyday looks and ride. The Elise has hard suspension, no body roll, high adrenaline looks and ride.

VERY different IMHO...not to be considered as a one-or-the-other decision. I like them both...for different reasons

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
and i take it he was probably just talking out his a**, right?
No, I think he truly believed it. He was describing it to a couple of other guys at a cars/coffee thing. Told them it had the same engine, but weighed a bit less than an Elise. He was actually a nice guy, and was obviously WAY more into his car than I am into mine, so I just went along and confirmed his facts with the other guys. It was actually a really nice looking car, and nearly as clean as the one pictured.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think toyota ****ed up with the mr2. They should have put the 2zz\ c60 in there from factory, I don't know why they didn't.

If I get an mr2, It would be a nice daily driver but i'd definitely put a 2zz in it... but then It still wouldn't compare to my Elise.The Elise blows the mr2 out of the park.. the oem mr2 with the 1zz will get blown completely out of the water going against the Lotus in either speed\acceleration or handling.. even looks in my opinion.

As far as the styling, I'm pretty sure the Lotus didn't derive from the mr2, It came from the Elise S1.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
That's actually the MR-S and not the MR2 which was a different car. In any event, I wanted the first gen MR2 really bad but ended up getting a Celica. Then I got a Miata and didn't get the second gen MR2 because it came out after. Then I tested the MR-S when I wanted a replacement roadster but it didn't do anything for me compared to a lighter Miata and now I have an Elise and wouldn't think of any of them as anything that can compare to the Elise. The Elise is just so elemental and pure that none of those cars which can also be made into everyday cars can even come close to the feeling of an Elise.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i ran an mr2 for 6 years, and had my lotus for 2. the mr2 is more practical, much cheaper, has a better, more waterproof roof, really excellent airconditioning, rock solid reliability.

with a small amount of tuning, (exhaust, suspension, lighter rims, induction) it's a very good sports car and a good buy. easily 4.5 stars while bone stock. additionally, there was unconfirmed speculation that Lotus engineering consulted for Toyota in the cars prototype development; not unlikely given the close connection between the companies as well as lotus engineerings vast array of clients, including designing the nissan GTR chassis backbone.

i won't compare it to the lotus, but with a small added turbo bringing power to 220hp, it was one of the best and most affordable cars i ever ran.

the lotus adds to the mr2 the exotic experience, many compromises and yet is all the more endearing. the lotus also looks much better designed.

an mr2 would be a far better daily driver, but in overall performance, unless you do the mods i mentioned, is 4.5 stars vs the lotus 5 stars. but it's far more comfortable as well.

affordable sports car with heaps of potential vs road legal race car : )

·
Registered
41 Posts
^Nice MR2!!!

Don't get me wrong.. MR2 is a great car, but IMO not even close to an Elise.. Other than the fact that it's a quirky nimble roadster, they're not that much alike. I'm a little surprised at some of the comments saying how they're similar.

Handling in the Elise is waaay different than the MR2. The Elise's handling is very aggressive and precise. Not saying the MR2's is bad, it's just very.. vanilla. Very ..meh.
Also Toyota could've done a better job with the styling. The face reminds me of a kid's toy.. like Thomas the Train.. or the cars in the Chevron commercials.

I would put the S2000 closer to the Elise than the MR2.

·
Registered
471 Posts

I loved my Spyder, and it started me down the sports-car-rabbit-hole towards the Elise. As mentioned above: different animals with some simalarites. If you are serious on either, do yourself a favor and read read read!

You found THIS forum, try spyderchat.com as well.

The decision comes with a myriad of choices: parts, money, reliability, performance, attention. On and on.

Read up, figure out where you are on that spectrum and pull the trigger accordingly.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts