The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Was the top off? But even at low speed it's sometimes rattly, noisy, and VERY dramatic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bet 150 is a little scary. I hit 115 - 120 on the highway and found that to be pretty scary. I found that I still had good pickup at that speed. What happens when you start getting closer to 150? Were you running on the 2nd cam the whole time at 150?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soft top was on and windows up.

5th gear tops out at around 148, so you need to shift to 6th which causes you to lose a couple MPH. 6th gear has virtually NO acceleration at that speed. Shifting at that speed is pretty unnerving too :D

I think the rev limiter is removed in 5th... It didn't come on for me even at 8600 RPM. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...at 140, mine's loud with the top off...she doesn't feel particularly unsettled at speed, but i tend to get a little skittish second-guessing all the little things which might go wrong and incite catastrophic loss of control...

...i doubt it makes a siginificant difference given all the stories i've read of them being torn off at speed, but i'm more comfortable pushing her straight-line limits with the hardtop in place...i wouldn't attempt a high-speed run with the windows down, though - roof or no roof, there's too much cabin turbulence...

...if you take a moment to focus on nearby details, it's unsettling how fast they start flitting past upwards of one-twenty...

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
yeah it takes forever to gain speed, i'm pretty sure the limiter is still there i just think it runs out of gearing/oomph, there are a couple of checks in the ecu for high speeds, but i've never really looked into it.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...if you take a moment to focus on nearby details, it's unsettling how fast they start flitting past upwards of one-twenty...
This is true and it is especially worse on a highway...Oy...

Felt safe on the runway given that we had an EMS crew with a helicopter, jaws of life, etc.

yeah it takes forever to gain speed, i'm pretty sure the limiter is still there i just think it runs out of gearing/oomph, there are a couple of checks in the ecu for high speeds, but i've never really looked into it.

+1 on this. Even coming around the turn to the runway at 60+ MPH, I still only maxed at ~154. The VBOX run was from a dead stop (to measure 0-60, 0-100 1/4 mile, etc.) and I only hit 150. Barely any difference.

Most cars were hitting 190-200 by the end of it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Most cars were hitting 190-200 by the end of it.
...most?..granted, the two hundred club has grown quite a bit this decade, but the majority of production cars still top out south of 190...

(...don't ask how much time i've wasted trying to find a maserati which does one-eighty-five...)

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
hahaha...awesome...hope you had fun

but i dont know why you were scared..you were in a car :p

try hitting 180mph on a bike and tell me if you were more scared on the bike or the car :D

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...most?..granted, the two hundred club has grown quite a bit this decade, but the majority of production cars still top out south of 190...

(...don't ask how much time i've wasted trying to find a maserati which does one-eighty-five...)

Well, it was an event for exotics. Mostly Gallardos (Twin turbo), Murcielagos (even a twin turbo Murci), Ford GTs, a few Ferraris, Saleen S7, couple Vipers, etc.

One of my friends in his modified Ford GT hit a VBOX verified 198.5.... So close!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
my exige was very settled at those speeds, not dramatic at all.
Same...:evil:

On the track I feel like I don't have much umph on the straight, but that's probably due to my poor exit speeds. On the front straight at Thunderhill, my car is very planted and undramatic, even with both windows down due to track rules.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
you drove to miami??

how come you didnt inform us of this (i wouldnt have minded a nice long cruise).

1 - 20 of 133 Posts