The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my car back from the garage and it's not good news...

They checked the exhaust manifold tab, and half a dozen other possible sources of buzz noises I highlighted from other threads on this forum, and none were found to be causing the problem.

The sound is defintiely coming from inside the engine.

Apparently in the 2 weeks since they last saw the car, it had burned off 2 litres in oil. Filling it back up stopped the buzzing immediately. (being that the oil was filled up 2 weeks ago, and there's no signs of leaking, I didn't think to check this myself).

There's no strange colour smoke in the exhaust, and absolutely no sign of leaks anywhere, but apparently it's burning the stuff off at a rate of knots.

The suggestion is to strip the engine down in order to isolate the problem, but could be looking at an engine rebuild!... Estimated cost: a lot!

The car has just over 15,000 miles on it, so seems really soon for something like this to go wrong. I've owned it since Aug '12 when it had just under 12k miles. It's run flawlessly until last month...

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Got my car back from the garage and it's not good news...

They checked the exhaust manifold tab, and half a dozen other possible sources of buzz noises I highlighted from other threads on this forum, and none were found to be causing the problem.

The sound is defintiely coming from inside the engine.

Apparently in the 2 weeks since they last saw the car, it had burned off 2 litres in oil. Filling it back up stopped the buzzing immediately. (being that the oil was filled up 2 weeks ago, and there's no signs of leaking, I didn't think to check this myself).

There's no strange colour smoke in the exhaust, and absolutely no sign of leaks anywhere, but apparently it's burning the stuff off at a rate of knots.

The suggestion is to strip the engine down in order to isolate the problem, but could be looking at an engine rebuild!... Estimated cost: a lot!

The car has just over 15,000 miles on it, so seems really soon for something like this to go wrong. I've owned it since Aug '12 when it had just under 12k miles. It's run flawlessly until last month...
Or it could be that the shop didn't fill the car with oil last time. Will they take responsibility for damaging your car if that was the case?

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Engine noise

Before you start stripping the engine... and spending much $$$, try the following:

1. Drive another 2 weeks and monitor oil level, see if car really burns that much oil. Otherwise, the shop did not fill the car with oil properly. If you did not drive the car too hard the missing 2L should not have done too much damage and would not burn-off again. I would not go to 2L under, just see if you burn 1L in one week.

If the car does not burn any oil and the shop underfilled it 2L, they should pay to strip the motor and see what the damage is. Standard procedure is drain oil, change filter, fill oil, start and check oil level. It would be hard not to notice 2L missing!!! :) If you did not drive the car too hard, there would be nascient damage to the camshafts (weak point inthe motor, already).

The noise that you here sounds like lifters or pistons, since it went away after you filled the oil, it was most likely lifters scouring your cam.

If the car really burns that much oil. you should:

1. See blue oil smoke from exhaust.
2. Would have wrecked your catalytic converter by now.
3. Do compression and leak-down test to verify that the rings and cylinder wall is damaged. (2 hours labor)
4. If 3 proves damage, rebuild motor. Otherwise look for an oil leak. i.e. put dye in oil, drive and check with black light.

Good Luck!

Anton

Or it could be that the shop didn't fill the car with oil last time. Will they take responsibility for damaging your car if that was the case?

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Before you start stripping the engine... and spending much $$$, try the following:

1. Drive another 2 weeks and monitor oil level, see if car really burns that much oil. Otherwise, the shop did not fill the car with oil properly. If you did not drive the car too hard the missing 2L should not have done too much damage and would not burn-off again. I would not go to 2L under, just see if you burn 1L in one week.

If the car does not burn any oil and the shop underfilled it 2L, they should pay to strip the motor and see what the damage is. Standard procedure is drain oil, change filter, fill oil, start and check oil level. It would be hard not to notice 2L missing!!! :) If you did not drive the car too hard, there would be nascient damage to the camshafts (weak point inthe motor, already).

The noise that you here sounds like lifters or pistons, since it went away after you filled the oil, it was most likely lifters scouring your cam.

If the car really burns that much oil. you should:

1. See blue oil smoke from exhaust.
2. Would have wrecked your catalytic converter by now.
3. Do compression and leak-down test to verify that the rings and cylinder wall is damaged. (2 hours labor)
4. If 3 proves damage, rebuild motor. Otherwise look for an oil leak. i.e. put dye in oil, drive and check with black light.

Good Luck!

Anton
Thanks for elaborating, This all sounds suspicious, which is why I suggested that the shop underfilled in the first place and then apparently neglected to look for it the first time the car was brought in for the problem. I strongly suspect an incompetent mechanic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Will keep a look on oil level every couple of days, and will post back with findings.

Last time I collected the car they said they'd flushed the valves and topped up the oil - sorry, I forgot to mention the oil part on my previous post. (they didn't say how much they topped it up, just that it had been topped up.).

This time all they did was top the oil up with 2 litres worth, and again that's fixed the noise.

When the rattle returned, I immediately stopped driving the car, only firing it up again to make the 2 videos above, and to drive to the repair shop (only 5 miles). So, I think that any damage caused will be minimal (hopefully!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Doge
Did you find anything out about the cold start rattle/clatter? My '13 Elise S (Supercharged) does it after standing for 2 or 3 days for about a second when starting. Shounds horrible, but otherwise everything else is OK...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My elise is making a noise. what do you think it is?

... ohhh... just kidding. But really, I have a noise coming directly from the engine and it is ugly.

Its hard to describe. It happens if i keep it at about 2000 - 2500 RPM. Its a vibrating buzz sound and it sounds like it is coming right from the far side of the engine (near the spark plugs). It will momentarily sound worse once i take my foot off the gas and the RPMs fall. At idle, the noise is not present and if i drive it a little harder there is no noise.

Now dont get me wrong, i have no problem driving it hard to temporarily rid me of the noise, but i need a fix. Thought it might be a sheer panel thing, but i checked, that is fine and the diffuser is not the culprit. I had a buddy keep it at 2k rpm and traced it directly to the engine.

No CEL No loss in power from what I can tell..

its stock 2006 elise. 34k miles.

Any ideas? the sound is really embarrassing when it pops up in daily driving accelerating and decelerating within those RPMS. :wallbang: And we are talking loud enough to hear over my upgraded audio, exhaust, other car buzzes and all other pleasant road noises.
Curious if you or anyone ever figured this issue out? I’m having the same thing. Not sure what it is but it’s coming from the right side of the engine. I’d have to pull the back clam off to really get to the noise.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Curious if you or anyone ever figured this issue out? I’m having the same thing. Not sure what it is but it’s coming from the right side of the engine. I’d have to pull the back clam off to really get to the noise.
Check rear engine mount. If it is loose or bad ya can get some horrid sounds. (happened to me).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts