The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
not mine btw, but i have had 3 calls this morning to ask if i am ok...i happen to have a 13 yr old boy also...but i don't street race up canyons at night

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont know yet but the police have found the porsche that the lotus was racing and he has been arrested or cited...thats all we need, more pissed off authorities at sports car owners!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Another one bites the dust in a really Foolish Situation.

First off I live 50 miles away from that Canyon and My Lotus is Yellow. I want to assure you it wasn't me. I know of only a few ORANGE ones like the Racer involved. I hope the Driver and his Son recover but lessons can be learned the Hard way ... Or the easy way. Sorry about that .. Any of you Utah Guys know the Driver?? :wave:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not mine either...

Mine's mag blue. There is an orange one in Ogden that my neighbors know, I'll ask them.

We have such a nice track nearby, no need to push it in the canyon, but I understand how tempting it can be...

good luck dudes

·
Registered
135 Posts
Aaand thats why you dont street race. The pisser is that the driver was an older guy not some stupid teen. He should know better than to race on public roads especially at night. Hopefully the two recover and lesson learned.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Maybe it's this monitor, but it looks saffron yellow to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hope everyone comes out ok.

Wasn't me in the Lotus or the Porsche.

Pics look orange, reporter on TV said orange, and its listed as orange in the article.

·
Registered
663 Posts
not only is he stupid enough to street race, but does it with his son in the car! Wow....

Fortunantly they look to be OK but this could of been so much worse......

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's saffron yellow for sure. I have a an 05 Elsie the exact same color and I have a 15 year old son, live in utah, but it's not me either. I hope everyone will be ok. That canyon is fun to drive and the Lotus makes it all the more fun. The temptation is always there to enjoy the car but I agree with everyone else. Street Racing is simply not a good idea at all. Again, I just hope everyone is ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,127 Posts
not only is he stupid enough to street race, but does it with his son in the car! Wow....

Fortunantly they look to be OK but this could of been so much worse......
yes, they are lucky indeed.

What does it mean "they spotted a white Porsche. Stopped it, interviewed the driver." :confused: Okay, wtf happened next?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow, what a pile-on.

The article was OMGSTREETRACINGWHOWILLTHINKOFTHEKIDS

But seriously, what really happened?

Guy was pushing his lotus a bit, in the vicinity of a Porsche. I doubt they were racing, just going fast. He hit some gravel or went to fast into a turn, back end came out, overcorrected and hit a car head on.

How many videos have we seen of "group drives" in the country. Some of crashes. You can bet if anyone was hurt, every one of those drives would be called "street racing" by the authorities.

There is no real evidence he was racing, the news is sensationalizing it to some degree because there were two cars driving together is all we really know.

In the end, doesn't matter if he was really racing or not. He crashed while breaking the speed limit in the vicinity of another car. That is legally street racing, and something probably everyone on this board has done.

So, if you go around a blind turn and hit gravel, you damn well better know what you are doing. He may well have been going way too damn fast, I don't know. The fact they survived a head on leads me to believe their speeds were lower than the report would have you believe.

So, no idea if he was racing or wasn't, but calling any accident with a sportscar "street racing" is becoming the rule rather than the exception.

take care,

gm

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, what a pile-on.

But seriously, what really happened?

Guy was pushing his lotus a bit, in the vicinity of a Porsche. I doubt they were racing, just going fast. He hit some gravel or went to fast into a turn, back end came out, overcorrected and hit a car head on.

How many videos have we seen of "group drives" in the country. Some of crashes. You can bet if anyone was hurt, every one of those drives would be called "street racing" by the authorities.

There is no real evidence he was racing, the news is sensationalizing it to some degree because there were two cars driving together is all we really know.

In the end, doesn't matter if he was really racing or not. He crashed while breaking the speed limit in the vicinity of another car. That is legally street racing, and something probably everyone on this board has done.

So, if you go around a blind turn and hit gravel, you damn well better know what you are doing. He may well have been going way too damn fast, I don't know. The fact they survived a head on leads me to believe their speeds were lower than the report would have you believe.

So, no idea if he was racing or wasn't, but calling any accident with a sportscar "street racing" is becoming the rule rather than the exception.

take care,

gm

thats a good point...too bad the authorities wont see it that way...especially here in utah, i got a 1mph over ticket in riverton, fought it and lost and the bi#@h judge threw in too fast for conditions for "gettin lippy"

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
++

...i see absolutely no evidence presented that street racing was involved, nor even high speeds for that matter, only that the lotus broke traction in a turn and swerved into oncoming traffic while trying to rein it back in...i'd expect the folks on this forum to think more critically than to rally behind a street racing witch hunt...

...the pictured damage doesn't suggest catastrophic impact; more like the crash structure and airbags doing their job...head-on collisions cause major damage no matter what the speed, and i suspect more injury was attributable to the height of the SUV than speed...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
About two hours after the crash, the white Porsche the Lotus was following up the canyon came back to the scene. Investigators questioned the driver, who had a 4-year-old child with him at the time of the crash.

"He did say he was in proximity to the actual crash but denied any involvement in racing, or anything like that," Hutson said.
ksl.com - 2 injured in car race up Big Cottonwood Canyon

I wonder what "proximity" means. Does that mean, yes, I was in the same canyon or I was a 100 feet in the lead.

Just seems strange to me how you could stop a white Porsche coming in the opposite direction and try to accuse the drive of "racing" unless it's a one entrance/exit canyon which still has some loop holes. Even if there were eye-witnesses, that would be dubious - unless there's a clear picture of the driver.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
2nd Moral of the Story - If you're gonna race and probably injure or kill yourself, leave your children at home. :thwack: Don't add to the victim total.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 20 of 87 Posts