The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read posts about that the brakes feel like they need to bleed. I also thought the same with the demo car I drove.

Is it just a matter of bleeding the brakes, or could it be the brake lines? I remember a few years back, some motorcyclists were upgrading their brake line to steel braided brake lines for a better feel. If I recall correctly, the stock brake lines tended to expand due to heat.

I'm assuming the Elise has steel braided brake lines, right? Or, what causes the spongy brakes?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The Elise has rubber brake lines.
However, it would be very strange for new rubber lines to be spongy. Unless you're doing track days and really using the brakes. It's more likely the new pads & rotors. They take a while to bed in the feel will change a bit after a thousand miles or so.

OTOH, it can't hurt to bleed them if they really feel soft...

Also, different brake pad brands will feel quite different, so if you're still unhappy, consider an alternate pad.

·
Vendor
3,273 Posts
I think that SS brake lines used to be a big deal, but I put them on my M3 and could not tell the difference. I think the brake pedal is not overly boosted and that is why they don't feel really responsive.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The brakes on my Caterham 7 have no boost and feel very responsive and firm, the brake issue is a common concern especially among those who have drive S1 and S2 Elises. Although the feel is a bit vague most say they are in fact better brakes than earlier cars, someone else will have to qualify or quantify that.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think there would be any problem in bleeding the brakes at deliver, or should I wait until the 1000 mile service?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
It's the servo they added. It makes the first portion of the pedal action feel soft. After that it's fine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Stan said:
It's the servo they added. It makes the first portion of the pedal action feel soft. After that it's fine.
Is there a way to correct or change that? so that we have a firmer pedal/less travel?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Is there a way to correct or change that? so that we have a firmer pedal/less travel?<<<

There appears to be a way to mitigate the matter. When I am able to post about it, I will.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Stan said:
Well, mine is not fine after the first portion of the pedal action. It ends up way too low.

BTW I have a question- is it possible to have air in the system without seeing any effect from pumping the pedal? My Porsche shop says no, that if it needs bleeding then pumping the pedal should have some effect on it. On my Elise it doesn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts