The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAR DEALERS ARE LIKE WOMEN…......No, I guess I won't even go there. But use your imagination or post your ideas if you like.

However, my point is there are all kinds of dealers and customers for that matter. I've placed a $2,500 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit with a reputable dealer, have everything I need in writing and am just waiting. I'll get my car when it's my turn, have no doubt about it and don’t bitch about it. As variable as the dealers are, the depositors are the same. Some are serious, some are not. Some are making a deposit on an Elise and some are purchasing an Elise.

REFUNDABLE deposits mean to the dealer that you're not positive you want the car, may or may not buy it when the time comes and everyone is playing games. The deposit is basically not a legal contract. The dealer expects some of the deposits to be taken back so he doesn't expect any loyalty from this "customer". He realizes that you could place a deposit with another dealer to get a lower position on the nebulous "list" then cancel your non-deal with him. No court would ever support either side's position - you'd just get your deposit back and the dealer would just go off screw someone else. Buyer and seller both beware.

I believe that we do not hear from most of the Elise depositors on this forum who are serious purchasers. Their dealer knows they are buying the car and although price is always an object it's not that important - they want the car. These buyers take care of business in a business-like manner and get treated likewise, if the dealer is honest. If not, then they go elsewhere. It’s not rocket science to see that you do not have a deal or have a crappy deal.

I feel this way and know many others who also do. I never see them posting here but I think it is enjoyable to see the speculation and concern over minutia in these Forums. (By the way, I am not a car dealer)

I want the car. And ugly reflectors, or whatever, bear little or no weight in my decision to buy this car. I have been smitten and have Lotuslust.

Just my opinion - I could be wrong............(but not this time)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
The dealers I went to only offered refundable deposits. They were not ofering or asking for anything else. Maybe not the case at all dealers but that was my experience. I really don't think the dealers have to worry about people faulting and not buying. There is such a long list that no one at the dealer is going to get a car they can not sell anymore. C'mon they can't get enough and that's the problem they are having, not getting stuck with cars. I'm not wrong either! :D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
cerven said:
REFUNDABLE deposits mean to the dealer that you're not positive you want the car, may or may not buy it when the time comes and everyone is playing games. The deposit is basically not a legal contract.
In California, your second sentence is true, but the first is not. There is no such thing as a NON-REFUNDABLE car deposit here. Until we place the order, there is no contract and hence the deposit would be fully refundable no matter what. It has nothing to do with my intentions regarding the car, it's just the law. I could walk in today and ask for my money back, and the dealer would be obligated to give me a refund. Actually, given the market demand for this car, I suspect that most dealers would return your deposit even after you place an order, but they wouldn't have to.

In fact, we have buyers remorse laws also. After you make a car purchase and take delivery of the car, you have a certain amount of time (I believe it's 72 hours) to return the car for a refund with no problems.

The fact that the dealers required a deposits of $1000, $2000 or whatever probably weeded out some people who don't care to tie up their money for so long (I hate to think how long the waiting lists would be if all you had to do was to give them you name!).

·
Registered
187 Posts
New York State has the same Law....

Deposits are fully refundable. A dealer can try and strong arm you but if you turn him in you will get your money back and he will be in trouble.

Dealers like to use that so they do not have cars sitting on their lots....But the Elise will move...early on anyway..

·
Registered
32 Posts
My deposit of $2,500 at MAG is non-refundable also and, although I've had some second thoughts,and I really don't want to give up any of my other cars(I'll keep driving my 93 GMC 1500 w/ 167,000 mi.as my daily driver for as long as I have to) I am ready to consumate the relationship and buy the Elise.That sounds a little weird doesn't it?I've owned a couple of Europas in the past, and when they weren't catching on fire or shedding parts, they were great fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts