The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently invested in a car cover, just whatever I found first at the local store.

The last two nights I have looked outside to see it has blown away! It came with a piece of string to tie underneath the car, but even this doesn't seem to stop the wind getting in. Any help appreciated with a "wind proof" car cover for the elise (one that fits).+

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Unfortunately, I have a "lots of experience here.."the best methods is to get a custom fitted cover which has a tight fit. Additionally, the side mirror pockets stop it from being blow off.
Another option with a store bought generic cover is to add additional "tie downs" at the front and back.
Cheers,
Michael
I recently invested in a car cover, just whatever I found first at the local store.

The last two nights I have looked outside to see it has blown away! It came with a piece of string to tie underneath the car, but even this doesn't seem to stop the wind getting in. Any help appreciated with a "wind proof" car cover for the elise (one that fits).+

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Unfortunately, I have a "lots of experience here.."the best methods is to get a custom fitted cover which has a tight fit. Additionally, the side mirror pockets stop it from being blow off.
Another option with a store bought generic cover is to add additional "tie downs" at the front and back.
Cheers,
Michael
If anyone knows how to keep a car cover on an Elise it is Michael! He has no garage and has invested an incredible amount of time and effort into covering and securing his car outside. :up:

·
Registered
443 Posts
While we are on the subject, what brand of outdoor fitted cover do folks like?

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I'm on car cover number 4 from these guys...California Car Cover

The Weathershield is a fantastic cover. Thin and really waterproof.

Cal Car Cover ? Custom Fit Car Covers, Motorcycle Covers, Cleaning Products, Garage Accessories, Collectibles and More

Throw some hiking rope under the car and tie the cover down in the grommets.

Also, you can use a shorter piece of rope from the grommets to your front wheels.

I also use two long bungie cords from the back wheels, across the back of the car, over the car cover, just above the license plate.

Car cover is locked on in any wind.

Rope and bungies and cover store easily in the Lotus trunk. :D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
First of all, there is no perfect outdoor car cover, they are ALL a compromise.
There are NO waterproof car covers sold, because the compromise here is breath ability, to allow condensation to evaporate. While some covers will repel moisture quite well, in a heavy downpour, the rain overcomes the fabrics surface tension and they leak. One of the biggest problems car covers are subjected to is UV damage, Most materials will "break down" within a few years at most. The best material for a cover subjected to intense sun is aptly named "Sunbrella".
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I used to live on top of a hill and always had my Z3 roadster covered. I got tired of having the cover blow off and found a way to secure it.

Get a seamstress to put a grommet in the front and rear of the cover, you would normally have grommets on the sides. Using a masonry bit, install metal rings at the front, rear and sides of the car when it is parked. Secure the cover to the ground with nice bungee cords. Problem solved!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts