The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this about my car and wanted to see if it is the same for every other one. In my other car which is also a manual, if I am on a hill I can stop the car from rolling back without hitting the brake but instead just having the clutch pressed in to the point where it "grabs" and it stops the car from rolling back. Im sure everyone knows of that as well. But in the Elise I cant do this. I have tried and I cant get the clutch to any point where it stops the car from rolling back so I have to use the brake all the time. Is this the same for all Elises?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... Im going to have mine looked at then.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I have noticed this about my car and wanted to see if it is the same for every other one. In my other car which is also a manual, if I am on a hill I can stop the car from rolling back without hitting the brake but instead just having the clutch pressed in to the point where it "grabs" and it stops the car from rolling back. Im sure everyone knows of that as well. But in the Elise I cant do this. I have tried and I cant get the clutch to any point where it stops the car from rolling back so I have to use the brake all the time. Is this the same for all Elises?
I'm not sure that your practice is particularly helpful for the lifespan of a clutch.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Never balance a car on an incline with the clutch, well that is if you want the most life out of the clutch.

I would think its a fairly tolerant clutch in the Elise, at least it felt that way in the three test drives I have had with the car compared to my Evo...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Actually I think the manual states specifically that you not do that.:tadts:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
glaze it...

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I don't understand why you would use the clutch instead of the brakes.
This is a pet peeve of mine. At least if it's someone driving my car. They can do whatever they want to their own. I've asked several people- "please don't do that"

·
Registered
937 Posts
Glad I don't live in sfo but it's hard to use the e-brake like the manual says too. You need to ride the clutch sometimes, like when I'm parking on an incline or driveway.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
A decade and a half ago or more, I owned a couple of Subarus. Say what you want about those cars 'back then,' they had a 'hill holder' feature that kept the brakes applied for the split second (or more, depending on one's skill) it took to take foot off brake, apply throttle, and release clutch on a steep hill. I assume it was some type of vacuum system.

I know other cars since have had the hill holder feature (BMW?), but Subaru was there fairly early in the game.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the criticism. I actually didnt know it was bad for the clutch when I did that. Should I just put it in nuetral and use the break instead?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Thanks for all the criticism. I actually didnt know it was bad for the clutch when I did that. Should I just put it in nuetral and use the break instead?

do you prefer routine 1,000 dollar clutch jobs?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Absolutely. Get used to using the hand brake to hold your car in position while you take your foot off the brake pedal and move your feet to the clutch and gas to get going again. "Riding" the clutch will destroy it prematurely.

John

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you're moving, it should be in a gear. Among other benefits, this permits you to respond to the traffic.

If you're standing still, it should be in neutral.

The only grey area is when the engine rev is low, say, under 1000. Then you disengage the clutch and, typically, are in first or second gear. That is preferable to being in neutral.

YMMV, especially on the track.

Dan

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can also use hold the brake with the left side of your right foot and roll the right side onto the throttle as you release the clutch similar to the heel and tow technique. As you roll off the brake, you should be at the clutch release point and have enough throttle to start accelerating foward.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts