The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,117 Posts
Nice. I hope they lighten 'er up. Porsche has gotten too fat and happy. Exige competition? Not as long Porsche restricts its performance vs. 911. Should be a nice sportcars regardless.

Pix from Autoweek.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
shay2nak said:
looks a bit like a crossfire, too...yawn
WRONG!!! It looks much, much worse! ;)

Looks like a Boxster trying to be a 911.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geez so critical of a car that isn't even out yet or shown in final form. From what I can see the prototype has the classic 911 roofline/profile, I guess if that is a yawner then 40 years of 911's means nuthin... ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
mikester said:
Did they manage to "pare down" about 1,000 pounds compared to the cabriolet version ? :p
Eh, I'd rather wait till they come out with a cab version anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
You know, after 40 years it IS a bit of a yawn. And this is a boxster mascarading as a 911, but falling into the clutches of crossfires and 350s. I'm not impressed. Can't Porsche come up with an original design for something other than a $300,000 supercar? this smacks of BMW's new look, umm, looking like a generic GM car...

Hey, after 30 years, the Esprit is getting rather yawn, too. That's what makes the Elise so exciting-it's new, different, better than what came before...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Surferjer said:
Can't Porsche come up with an original design for something other than a $300,000 supercar?
Well, they tried with the 928, and it wasn't a huge success...I think they just gave up and decided to stick with what's making money for them. It really is a shame though, the cars today look so similar to the original 911...that's fine, it's a very nice look, but begins to become common and ordinary over time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very sweet. Like the rear a lot.

Put 280-300 ponies in the S version, keep the weight under 3,000 lbs. and keep the price in the mid-$50's and she will be a winner in my book.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Z0650TH said:

Put 280-300 ponies in the S version, keep the weight under 3,000 lbs. and keep the price in the mid-$50's and she will be a winner in my book.
they wouldn't do that, because then there would be very little difference between the boxter S and the base 911 except the price. Then more people would by the boxter and less would buy the 911...

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Porsches biggest mistake will be to make it a "boxster coupe" it should be a new car, not a boxster, and it should have the V8 sitting behind the seats and crush a 911... it should be the the affordable carrera gt, they need something slated between that and the 911. It should be a modena/gallardo/ford gt/ fighter

I mean, the boxster and the 911 are twins for the most part, except as noted that porsche holds the performance back on the boxster to keep its price point for models in order. so why make a boxster coupe... if its nothing more than another de-tuned 911 variant just with the powertrain rotated around? stupid!

its should go like this...

boxster
V8 coupe
carrera gt
(stick the hot pepper in there wherever opinion dictates)

sigh... when will i ever get promoted to leader of the world !

come on admit it, you would like the styling a lot better if it had a V8 sitting midship!!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Z0650TH said:

If I recall correctly, I believe the next generation Boxster (2005) is suppose to have 278 hp. The coupe, in theory, should be lighter. But to protect the 911, what if the coupe is only offered in base trim?

After following the Porsche brand for five years, the one thing I've learned is that Porsche is deliberate in what they do. New models, minor bumps in power, SUVs. If Porsche wanted to, they could increase the power or maintain values. But they will get away with giving as little as possible for as long as they can, UNLESS it hurts their image.

For example, in recent years, Boxster and regular 911 sales began to decline. A North American rebate program was quickly quashed and the N.A. President "resigned." However, when 911 (996) Turbos started to low their values, Porsche immediately cut production. Now, the Turbos values are holding steady.

Hence, in my opinion Porsche is an effective and deliberate business machine and knows how to target certain chords in people. People thought the Canyenne would be a bomb but it's keep Porsche sales up.

As for the Boxster coupe would probably be aimed at: 1) people would have the ridgity of a coupe for a track car; 2) people would can't afford a 911; 3) people who like the 911 but don't like the feel of a rear engine car. You can guess the percentage of those 3 groups.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I completely agree fitfan. As a current boxster S driver, I have had a bit of the porsche koolaid, and understand why the boxster is lower power than the carerra and is NOT a factory racing platform (though it is fun on the track). Problem is they have pigeonholed a platform which could be a powerhouse to artificially raise prices on the Carerra. With a stiffer setup through a coupe model, it could easily run with a 400+hp engine out of either a turbo 6cyl boxer or a lightweight v8. Problem is, with porsche's per hp pricing, this would cost around 140-150k. Who is going to pay 140k for a boxster if the gt3 is out there or a carerra turbo? (Wether it is faster or not is not important, the name is key)

What porsche needs is to get a bit back to their roots, much like lotus. Release a lightweight car with a nice power lump and a LOW price. Something to get the amateur racer going to the track, rather than just the sponsored or super rich. Unfortunately their standard process is to remove stuff from a car and double the price...

Personally, I think we have a higher chance of being able to take a leisurely swim in a pool of lava, and living, than seeing affordable/realistic porsche pricing. Maybe the elise will lower porsche sales enough for them to take notice?

Scot

02 st4s/02 boxsters/04 crg kali-leopard 125cc

1 - 20 of 39 Posts