The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my worst fear happened today. As I was sitting behind another car which was about to turn out of a parking lot, the driver threw her car in reverse and floored her car, claiming she forgot something and didn't see me in her rear view. My initial fear was that it would look like I hit her since the damage is on the front of my car but she admitted to it and there was a video and her insurance company (Geico) has already agreed to pay. I am wondering if a. My car is totalled b. The cost of repairs if not from what can be told by the photos and c. If totaled, will I be payed by either my insurance company or hers for the stand alone ecu and aftermarket supercharger I have in it? (I am toying with the idea of buying it back if totaled since the rear is unscathed and fixing it with an inokinetik clam etc but more curious about a. b. And c. At the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Max

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
More than likely the insurance company will total. Looks like front clam needs total replacement as well as the crash structure and probably the AC condenser, oil cooler and radiator. The real question is if the suspension got damaged or if any of the suspension pick up points are bent. If any part of the aluminum chassis is bent walk away. I know some of you will say it repairable, but you will have a title that says salvage, the car has a different value.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I am hoping it is totaled. Her insurance has offered to pay and they just said they will pay for the mods (sc, stand alone ecu, larini exhaust, euro diffuser, etc) she only backed into me at maybe 5-7 mph so I'm wondering how the crash structure can be damaged. The radiator looks unscathed. The car starts but I have not ran it for more than a second to see if it overheats or anything.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
The side you where hit is where the AC condenser and radiator have inlet/outlet tubes that could have been bent. The crash structure just needs to be cracked to need replacement. If your car had track pack then there is an oil cooler on the side that was hit. If not, it’s not an issue. The clam is toast.

Here is what your looking at under neath the clam:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No track pack. It's an 05. I believe that was offered after if I'm not mistaken. I am adding another photo that may help in seeing what else needs fixing but I'm sure the full damage won't be able to be fully assessed until they get the clam off. Looks like it's cracked though. Not sure how that piece works, if one part is broken is the while thing done or are there multiple pieces?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't see a crack in the crash box in the above picture. It looks like a little bit of the corner got broken off, but it is not a big deal.
I would cut the damaged clam off and take it to an alignment shop to see if the front suspension mounting points are bent.
That is going to be the only damage that would scrap the car.

Now whether insurance will total it is a different matter entirely. Depends on what they value the car at, how much they can make selling yours to a scrapyard, and how much they estimate it to cost to fix it (I'd say at least $10k).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see where the corner chipped off. I'm adding the same photo and I circled that in yellow, but what about what I circled in red? Regardless, I want them to bill to replace everything and either replace as new or cut me a check if it's totaled and if I buy it back I'll decide on my own how I fix it, but if insurance is paying to repair it I would like everything new and no expense spared.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That might be a leftover broken fog light bracket circled in red. It looks like your car at one point had fog lights on it and someone took them off and left the brackets. I see the bolt for the bracket is still there at the very top of the red circle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not claiming to know what I'm talking about here and you may be right but it looks like the images of the crash structure that I looked up

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
The big question is the suspension. If it isn’t touched and the car can be aligned to spec this would be an easy repair (if you did it yourself and knew what you were doing). About $12K buying mostly used parts and having the clam painted to match. Depending on mileage the insurance company will pay you about $30K for the car. You can probably buy it from them for under $8K (do this right away once you settle on the price they will reimburse you for. If you wait the price may go up). So $20K to buy your car back and fix and $10K in your pocket. The only issue is it will have a rebuilt title. If you have to have a shop fix the car, it will cost a lot more and you won’t have any cash left over. Might even cost more......

if you don’t have mechanical skills and a shop to work on it for a couple of months, take the insurance money and look for another car. There are lots for sale right now.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Here is the detail of the crash structure and the area where the AC condenser piping is located as well as the radiator inlet. If the radiator is OEM and has the plastic ends, it will need to be replaced. You will probably also have to replace the oil cooler lines. You would have to remove the front clam to see all the damage and what needs to be replaced. But I’m fairly confident the insurance company will total as too much hidden damage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crazy to think that a car may be totaled from a 6mph impact. I'm including the photo from my POV. She wasn't even to the road and just threw her car in reverse and must have floored it. Didn't even get a scratch on hers. I added a photo I took of the lines but I'm sure you won't be able to tell anything from it

·
Registered
23 Posts
So my worst fear happened today. As I was sitting behind another car which was about to turn out of a parking lot, the driver threw her car in reverse and floored her car, claiming she forgot something and didn't see me in her rear view. My initial fear was that it would look like I hit her since the damage is on the front of my car but she admitted to it and there was a video and her insurance company (Geico) has already agreed to pay. I am wondering if a. My car is totalled b. The cost of repairs if not from what can be told by the photos and c. If totaled, will I be payed by either my insurance company or hers for the stand alone ecu and aftermarket supercharger I have in it? (I am toying with the idea of buying it back if totaled since the rear is unscathed and fixing it with an inokinetik clam etc but more curious about a. b. And c. At the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Max
Sorry to see that

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
757 Posts
Crazy to think that a car may be totaled from a 6mph impact.
The Elise had a federal exemption for sale in the US. One reason was for the E-code headlights. The other was because it doesn't pass the 5mph bumper regulation.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,143 Posts
Take the wheel off and take pictures of the suspension point so we can see if there is any damage (hopefully not)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear, not to rain on your parade I was side swiped in a parking lot 3 weeks ago. so minor damage and easily replaceable and his insurance wants to address. Then 2 weeks after that nailed a racoon on a highway doing 60. Looks minimal, but def. need a front clam and the crashbox is cracked. I'll start another thread but I can't believe they will total this car is what my research is telling me. I'm in the middle of insurance claims now. Keep you posted on another post. Sorry to hijack but researching and your's is closely simuliar.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts