The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend at the track, as I was entering into a sweeping right turn with some speed, the bolts that hold the left rear upper control arm to the hub broke causing the wheel to collapse into the wheel well. I was able to affirm that once I got the wheel off.

I believe that when the tire got jammed into the wheel well, this caused the short shaft to become severely stressed and consequently broke.

What I am unclear of is what the extent of damage is. When this happened, there was a moderate amount oil leaking from rear of car. I was able to confirm is was not engine oil as those levels are still full. When the short shaft breaks, could it cause the transmission oil to leak out or I am dealing with a damaged transmission as well. Appreciate your input.

·
Registered
580 Posts
soudns liek the axle pulled out. Its very possibly you snapped the end of the axle off. PM if you would like a lowcost option on repairing or buying a new axle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This weekend at the track, as I was entering into a sweeping right turn with some speed, the bolts that hold the left rear upper control arm to the hub broke causing the wheel to collapse into the wheel well. I was able to affirm that once I got the wheel off.

I believe that when the tire got jammed into the wheel well, this caused the short shaft to become severely stressed and consequently broke.

What I am unclear of is what the extent of damage is. When this happened, there was a moderate amount oil leaking from rear of car. I was able to confirm is was not engine oil as those levels are still full. When the short shaft breaks, could it cause the transmission oil to leak out or I am dealing with a damaged transmission as well. Appreciate your input.
The leak is probably the oil seal on the transmission from the axle getting jerked around. FYI Innovative ( www.innovativemounts.com ) makes some nice aftermarket axles for the lotus that are beefier than OEM. I believe they are the ones being sold by Monkeywrench:
Innovative Racing Axles (2) - Lotus Elise/Exige - INM-AX90900 van Innovative Mounts - Monkeywrench.

Good luck with your repair!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The upper control arm bolts need to have loctite put on the threads or they work loose and break like in your case.you might want to check your other bolts for this.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
This weekend at the track, as I was entering into a sweeping right turn with some speed, the bolts that hold the left rear upper control arm to the hub broke causing the wheel to collapse into the wheel well.
The bolts just broke? Sheared off? Where your bushings in good condition? How many miles (and track miles) on the car? Any pics?

Do we know if this has happened to others? As a track guy that enters "into sweeping right turns with some speed" on a pretty regular basis, I am curious. Should I be upgrading my control arm bolts?

EDIT: OK, just found this thread http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/one-more-reminder-tighten-your-suspension-bolts-48261/
Have not been checking the bolts where my rear upright attaches. :eek: I will now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts