The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep the story short and sweet. I was on a spirited charity drive this past weekend, trying to keep up with Huracans and such. I have a 2011 Elise R. It ran perfectly with multiple runs to redline for the first half of the run. We got to the halfway point, stopped the car, and talked for 45 minutes. After this, started the car back up and it was acting perfectly. Got out of the parking lot, gassed it to get out on the road and it sputtered and died. I tried multiple times to restart to no avail. The car will turn over normally but will not start. It was towed to the local Lotus dealership that has said that the ECU is fried and a new one is needed. The lotus tech there is very highly respected in the Lotus community. I asked specifically if they tested the wiring, fuel pump, etc. They said they did and that the ECU was the only abnormality in testing. For what it's worth on my end:

1. Full tank of gas before the drive.
2. All electronics worked, plenty of battery juice, would turn over without issue when starter pressed.
3. Reset the inertia switch to no avail.
4. Coolant temp was a steady 192 before dying.
5. Oil level is perfect.
6. Car started without issue and pulled out of the parking lot before dying.
7. No aftermarket ecu flash, has never been jumped off with cables.

Dealer wants $2,000 for the new ecu. Does anyone have any ideas? This just seems very unlikely to me as these cars aren't known for randomly blowing the ecu while driving. Thanks for any help y'all can give.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sorry, your too far away. I was going to lend you one for a test..... Good luck.

Reactions: kmhepler

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
There is another recent thread on here with ECU's being fried mysteriously...

It seems that the culprit was a heat-related short in the O2 sensor which caused ECU failure. I'd check connectivity there before attempting to plug in another ECU...

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
Printed circuit boards are subject to manufacturing related defects like broken solder joints. Also, components sometimes failed prematurely, like capacitors leak or resistors pop. A fried motherboard may just be a dead component or loose connection, but there is $$ involved in finding out if it can be fixed.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine just died at the track, pretty much the same as yours. The fuel pump fuse blew (twice) but can't find anything wrong and it is running fine now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
What he meant to say was that he was having the most trouble keeping up with my 4C.

If he does need a new ECU, what would be the most cost effective solution? Seems like if springing for an ECU you may as well upgrade while at it and it might be best to buy one already flashed with a tune or something like that.

·
not your dad's puns
1,760 Posts
I would loan you my spare T4, with a factory throttle-cable tune, but alas, it would be useless in this application.

Maybe call one of our vendors, see if someone has a working T4e they could loan* you:

@turbophil
@shinoo
@fzust

*i.e. you buy it, confirm that's the issue, or not, and return for partial credit, or reflash? Anyway that's how I would do it

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Elise S Ardent red
12 Posts
Is it certain that it is the ECUs fault? I was on a journey, stopped at a gas station, filled her up and a couple of hundred meters later the car stopped. The symptoms were similar. The engine would turn but it wouldn't start. The problem was a worn out hose feeding the oxygen sensor, which didn't get the correct readings and didn't allow the engine to start in order to protect it. You could have the same issue

·
Registered
2010 Lotus Elise S Ardent red
12 Posts
Are you sure it is the ECUs fault?
I had similar symptoms in my 2010 Elise S. Stopped to fill her up and approximately 200 meters from the gas station the engine died. Full of gas, battery OK, everything OK. The starter worked fine, the engine turned but it wouldn't start. The problem was a worn out hose feeding air to the oxygen sensor. The sensor got wrong readings and prevented the engine from starting to protect it. Maybe you have a similar issue or should I say hope, because it much simpler to repair

1 - 11 of 11 Posts