The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can see there is no way to fit a double din in the elise. Has anyone heard of a kit to accommodate a full din somehow? A search didnt turn much up.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! thx man.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Do a forum search on my custom double din thread. Its the only option as you simply cannot get those tesla parts

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the words interchangeably but ya reading the post title answer that for you.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
Does anyone care ?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm also in the "why?" camp. It seems totally pointless. What do you do with the thing that's worth cutting up the dash?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OT:
Since the OP thinks I'm stalking him...
Strange I'm expected to suck up sarcasm but not be sarcastic, interesting?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Um, i know most of the people here and many of them personally. You are a new guy. Get the diff?

Andy, simple. It was a pretty easy mod and I do lots of driving in my car. Lots of sales road trips. I wanted a proper nav but hated the extra cord suctioned on mirror garmin gps set up. I also listen in on a lot of con calls when I drive. Bluetooth thru the speakers with mic on mute is a dream.

Same thing for a good sound system.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no problems with it at all, just a bit surprised you can't take some back. Get the diff? Neat mod BTW. In my mr2 I put a 7 inch screen as why I'm asking. I like to just run a computer instead of a ton of auio crap. This way I get winamp for my stereo and Garmin for my gps, etc.. I can even connect to the ECU and get some cool graphs out of it. So I was hopping for a way to do this in a lotus.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
All good. I absolutely dish, but it's about getting it back from people I know.

No worries.

As for the winamp/computer/etc - I have no idea what all that means.

I've had double din set ups in every car I've had for the last 10 years or so. Again, I drive the hell out of my car and many are longish trips (2-3 hours) to sales calls, etc. I hate a Garmin Nuvi but hated the intrusion of it and the dangling power cord. Also, I take the newer Tesla roadsters with the double din and thought THAT'S how it should work. So figured it out.

The AC on my car was worthless so killing the front vents didn't matter (actually AC is better now just using the side vents). Install really wasn't a big deal. Just a big of plastic modification using an extra Elise radio bezel fascia. There are two small cuts that need to be made on the aluminum dash skeleton to allow the ddin to fit in. Works great. Nice and clean and nice big navigation display and bluetooth.

And yes, nice stereo sound. I'm not a track junkie, so the extra 10-15 pounds really doesn't matter to me. I put RAC Monolites on at the same time so that weight gain was offset. If I cared that much, I'd run my a$$ around the block a bit more.

I'm a musician. I drive a lot. I like to listen to music when I drive. Period. Contrary to what the conventional 'there's so much going against this car' for acoustics, my stereo is probably the best sounding I've had in any car. And no, the whole 'listen to the engine' thing doesn't work for me. In a 2.5 hour drive, that's mind-numbingly boring and frankly, the supercharger whir and exhaust drone give me migraines.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey this sounds all sound good I have had my set up for 10 years also, I just dont like the normal stereo paradigm.

Basically its computer. The keyboard is for when I need it, obviously its all touch screen but I can use it for anything computer related as well.

So a musician eh? I have played guitar for 22 years and I still play out, huge music lover. Although I like most music I prefer metal ( ya I know typical guitarist )

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hey this sounds all sound good I have had my set up for 10 years also, I just dont like the normal stereo paradigm.

Basically its computer. The keyboard is for when I need it, obviously its all touch screen but I can use it for anything computer related as well.

So a musician eh? I have played guitar for 22 years and I still play out, huge music lover. Although I like most music I prefer metal ( ya I know typical guitarist )
What the hell am I looking at?

On the music tip, I listen to everything from folk to trance, but metal and hardcore are my real loves. In a given 20 song shuffle on my iPod, you'll probably hear Opeth, Celtic Frost, Maiden, Venom, Dimmu Borgir or early Queensryche.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts