The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story:
A Maryland Elise driver who had picked up his 2006 Lotus Sport Elise mere days before, went for his first real drive in the hills around Frederick, Maryland on a beautiful sunny day. He had his driver's side window open and was enjoying listening to the incredible Alpine stereo. He was descending a tightening radius turn bordered by a guardrail at about 50-60 MPH when suddenly a soft black object appeared to fly in the open driver's side window striking him in the chest. His first reaction "WTF? Was that a bat? A bird? Is it in my lap?" Brushing the front of his chest/lap with some degree of :panic: he looked down to see if the bat was still in his lap. It wasn't. However, he now felt his car was not tracking smoothly around the turn. It wasn't. He looked up and, deftly steering, avoided a Darlington stripe by a foot or so. After finishing the corner and heading straight, he looked around to see where the flying object was and if it were about to fly up and attack again. Was it dazed after striking him in the chest? He looked over and saw it in the six point harness in the passenger seat. What was it? (See answer below) Hint: this Maryland Elise owner had a 2005 w/o the hardtop before the Sport Elise. Afterwards, the driver laughed at being an idiot for looking down in a turn and almost wrecking his new car, as well as acting with less than 007-like "grace under pressure" and more like "a girly man." Both car and driver have survived to drive another day.

The attacking object was the velcroed protective cover that goes over the attachment above the driver's left ear on the hardtop. :thwack: Hey, it was black and soft. It could have been a bat ... on a bright ... sunny ... afternoon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hehe... I got attacked by the same bat creature as I drove my newly purchased elise over brooklyn bridge... It was probably less than 5 miles into my first drive and it reminded me it was a lotus by attacking me with its bits.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I got attacked buy that thing on my first day. Hard top came off on the second day and has never been back on.

I first thought too (after the surprise feeling) OK what part’s next. Good old Brit car, something needs to fall off.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I got that thingie dropped on me once as well at one night. My first reaction was what the heck is falling down from my car. I was like damn visiting dealer again? Somehow I just don't trust Lotus's QC.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I once got attacked by a female wild turkey while at a stop sign. The top was off and the windows down, so she had an easy time pecking me.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Its amazing that a car company like Lotus can't figure out a way to securely attach those things. It happened to me when I had my Elise but the Exige comes with better velcro so it stays on better. Well, I guess Lotus did find a way to attach them better :clap:.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Old Bats????

So I guess the answer to the question posed in that other thread "Does a Lotus Attract Girls?" is that they attract old bats .... -eek- Who knew?

·
purveyor of lightness
4,257 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kkvsi1OeUfc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kkvsi1OeUfc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Very timely... one of my all time favorite movies ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts