The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had my car on the dyno a few hours ago to see what i am putting down before my supercharger or turbo install. i have the PPE header and sport cat, arqray single tip titanium, lotus sport ecu, and reviere carbon fiber daytona intake. i got about 158 hp at the wheels and 102 ft lbs for torque. the place that i got my dyno said they put on a custom turbo for another elise and they are getting over 300 hp at the wheels:drool:. now i have to decide between a supercharger or this custom kit.

YouTube - lotus elise dyno

Attachments

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Most put down 167/121 I thought. Something isn't right. Maybe worth checking into before you boost

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats!!! Same as my setup minus the ECU tune...

But those numbers seem really low, especially the torque. I'm gonna have to dyno mine soon.
he said something like that this kind of dyno puts out lower numbers then usual because of the type of the dyno it is. he said other dynos in the area always show more then you actually have. i dont know if this is true at all

·
Registered
657 Posts
Seems to me they might have used a Mustang dyno versus a Dynojet. Mustang dyno will show lower numbers but many argue it is the most accurate as you can add real factors in the measurement to calculate the Hp and Tq. If you go to a shop that uses a Dynojet, you will probably see higher numbers (not better just higher!).

I am on the mustang camp when using a dyno to measure Hp and Tq. Dynojet is a good tool to use to measure differences before and after mod.

I always dyno a car beofore a mod so I have a benchmark. Otherwise, no way to know what the mods have really achieved.

Hope this helps.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I could never get a Mustang dyno to read properly for my Elise... I went to 2 different shops and got about the same ratings. Both of them showed near or over 200 WHP and 140 ft lbs of torque. The second dyno operator said that it must be the way the dyno works and the light weight of the Elise screws it up.

My car dyno'd @ 166 RWHP and 121 ft lbs of torque bone stock on a Dynojet... It showed a 9 hp gain at the wheels with my header on the Mustang dyno so I'd assume it's over 170 RWHP on a dynojet now.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems to me they might have used a Mustang dyno versus a Dynojet. Mustang dyno will show lower numbers but many argue it is the most accurate as you can add real factors in the measurement to calculate the Hp and Tq. If you go to a shop that uses a Dynojet, you will probably see higher numbers (not better just higher!).

I am on the mustang camp when using a dyno to measure Hp and Tq. Dynojet is a good tool to use to measure differences before and after mod.

I always dyno a car beofore a mod so I have a benchmark. Otherwise, no way to know what the mods have really achieved.

Hope this helps.
yeah thats what he was saying that mustang dynos are more accurate but show lower numbers. i looked at the printout that i got and it says max engine speed was 8125. could this be why since its not at the rev limiter?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
E.D. dynoed with an arqray single tip (same muffler that you have) on a Mustang dyno on a rainy, humid day and he did 160 and 115 tq... Lots of variables to that, I know.

Stock should be around 160 and 120. Not trying to worry you, sorry. But that torque is absurdly low. I've never seen an Elise dyno with such low torque.

Just hope you're enjoying it :shift:

·
shay2nak
24,985 Posts
damn, the 2nd cam curve is outta control! You should have a stock elise run the dyno too, so you have a baseline.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Mustang Dyno's read the lowest amongst the other dyno's. If you want a high dyno number, use a Dynojet.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mustang Dyno's read the lowest amongst the other dyno's. If you want a high dyno number, use a Dynojet.
thats what i was thinking too when i saw the low numbers.

but does the fact that the max engine speed is 8124 rpm have any reason to do with the low numbers.
should i be worried?:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts