The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nope. It sounds great though doesn't it?! I swapped to a stage 2 and once it broke in, it sounded great. It is a bit of a drone at highway speeds unfortunately. A few weeks ago I removed the cat and installed a CharlieX ecu tune. There is definitely a gain there. It pulls much better now. I highly recommend a cat delete with ECU tune.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
depends.

If you have stock ECU, a tuned chip will help no matter which exhaust you run.

Stock, there is a large "valley" before the cam changeover and chips generally eliminate that. At that point on the dyno sheet, one picks up ~20 hp.

Moreover, the cam switch will be at a lower RPM, which makes the car more pleasant to drive. Search for my post, something like "my PES experience" or ~ for timed results. Even get better mpg around town....

Cat: It is not worth skirting the law while polluting more than necessary to remove it. Vendors here will tell you the gain might, at best, be 4 hp, which you will never feel and won't win you more trophies.

You didn't mention how you use your car, but not sure that it matters.

Elise Freak feels the chip > the decat.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I do not believe there is a need to retune after a stage 2 exhaust only upgrade. You may see some gain with a retune if you have not done one yet. BUT, if you are willing to spend some $$$ on a retune why not at least perform an injector size increase before you do the retune. You will get a lot more bang for the buck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thanks for the replies... I use my elise as a daily driver, that gets track time a few times a year, and do a local road rally twice a year.. It is currently bone stock with a stage II exhaust added. I don't want to do a cat delete, currently a have no inspection, but most of the counties around me do, so its a mater of time.... I will do done research on the tuned chips/ injector mods and go from there. What tuned chips are best bang for the buck for a stocker?

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It actually feels like it is pulling smoother and stronger than before... Even my mechanic thought so after his 'test drive' :shift:

It does sound much better (but is a lot louder) than the stock exhaust.

Zig

·
Registered
280 Posts
To clarify, glb was right, the cat delete isn't necessary really, but the ECU tune is where you pick up the punch. I'm in the same boat as you Zukipilot. I autocross my car but my primary use is laying miles down (7500miles last summer with 8 autocrosses). I wanted the stage 2 pipe just so it sounded better. I think the smoother sound is what is making you think the car pulls better :) They do sound horrible with the stock muffler, and freakin' great with the stage 2.

I didn't do larger injectors, I just did a charlieX ecu tune and it was transformative to say the least. The mid range power (4000-6500rpm) is hugely increased. I guess by hugely, it really isn't MASSIVE but it feels so in a small light car.

Yes, tune the ECU and you're right, if you have concerns about removing the cat, then just don't remove it, you aren't going to miss much. I just did it because I could.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
On the 05s, there's a nice gain to be had with a NA tune. The exhaust can help a bit on the top end--- even if slight...

In the pic attached is a bone stock NA2005, right down to the stock muffler. Changed nothing other than the tune and picked up nice gains, particularly in that area "under the curve"...

You can see that the lower cam switch helps to smooth out the band a fair bit with a ~25whp increase at the best (indicated at the cursor), and we also picked up torque everywhere else:up: We tuned a couple 200s just this weekend at the KC Spring GTG, and I think it fair to say that the difference is quite noticeable by the seat of the pants based...

Dyno tests were conducted on the same car, same day, same dyno. Pulls were about 7-8 minutes apart from each other (approx time to flash the ECU through the OBD port;))...

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
On the 05s, there's a nice gain to be had with a NA tune. The exhaust can help a bit on the top end--- even if slight...

In the pic attached is a bone stock NA2005, right down to the stock muffler. Changed nothing other than the tune and picked up nice gains, particularly in that area "under the curve"...

You can see that the lower cam switch helps to smooth out the band a fair bit with a ~25whp increase at the best (indicated at the cursor), and we also picked up torque everywhere else:up: We tuned a couple 200s just this weekend at the KC Spring GTG, and I think it fair to say that the difference is quite noticeable by the seat of the pants based...

Dyno tests were conducted on the same car, same day, same dyno. Pulls were about 7-8 minutes apart from each other (approx time to flash the ECU through the OBD port;))...

Cheers,

Phil
wow.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So where can I get my ECU tuned? Will I need to take it to a shop with a dyno or can it be done with a mail it to me service?

Zig

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
probably just mail it in since not much you can mod on a NA car. Also depends if you're going to go with an intake/headers/decat. That IIRC is available through mail.

For example, if you installed cams and/or different intake manifold then you'd definitely would have to do a custom tune.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK great... Thanks for the info....

This is actually funny to me. I bought this car less than a year ago and swore I would not mod it for a few years rotfl Now I'm already planning on what not to do to the Vette (or just sale it) so I can do stuff to the Elise.

For some reason I have lost my attraction to the vette :shrug:

Zig

·
Registered
280 Posts
Same here Zuki. I bought my Elise because it was "already done" and I didn't want another project car. Whoops... That laundry list for my project car hasn't been getting any shorter since I have been buying stuff for the Lotus!

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Of course those gains get wiped out by the ECU within a week. Phil, redyno that car a week or month later. We've all seen the change as Charlie X will confirm. That is precisely why Charlie X only advertises an 8 HP gain with his tune. Anything else from breathing is removed. The 2ZZ motor is NOT very clean and the ECU knows it. I did a dyno on my car years ago after K&N, Stage 2 and CharlieX tune and Charlie was spot on! I say ~200HP and that is fair at most.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Of course those gains get wiped out by the ECU within a week. Phil, redyno that car a week or month later. We've all seen the change as Charlie X will confirm. That is precisely why Charlie X only advertises an 8 HP gain with his tune. Anything else from breathing is removed. The 2ZZ motor is NOT very clean and the ECU knows it. I did a dyno on my car years ago after K&N, Stage 2 and CharlieX tune and Charlie was spot on! I say ~200HP and that is fair at most.
My post was about whether a tune would make power. I said that an exhaust *can* make power on the top end even if slight. The big power DOES come from a tune. I can re-dyno that car I posted about in a week, a month, a year, and short of general motor and part degradation the gains will remain over a stock tune.

Exhaust can make a big difference in the right application, but on a stock NA car, the tune has much more to do with power output than exhaust or intake enhancements.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Phil

·
Registered
346 Posts
NA tune

I am also looking at this; it sounds perfect for my '05, with stock engine except for Rapter exhaust. I just want to confirm that the good things about the stock ECU, steady idle around 800, and no CEL codes, will be the same after tune. Is this the case Phil? Thanks, Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts