The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Elise with 26000 miles on it with an electrical problem. Briefly, the rear brake lights flicker pretty much at all times. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0P0CktRWMk&feature=youtu.be

I first noticed the problem when my Traqmate started to reboot every 2-3 minutes. I was able to fix that by plugging the Traqmate into an external USB power source. That's when I thought the problem was related to the car's electrical power (and noticed the brake lights flickering)

Next I cleaned the car battery leads and terminals and made sure there were good connections. No change to the situation.

The battery is always connected to a battery tender when not in use and the diagnostic lights on the tender indicate the battery is in good health. The engine turns over without any hesitation when cold and dormant, so the battery seems to be okay.

I notice no other performance problems with the car and mechanically everything appears okay. Do I replace the battery? Can I diagnose this any other way? Is this something a local non-Lotus shop can help me with? I don't have a local Lotus repair shop (Chicago based), so I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm dealing with before I drive 3 hours to see T.J.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sounds like the car is running in the video. Does it do this with the engine off? Do you have a multimeter? Put it across the battery terminals with the car running and see if you have a constant voltage. Try this again at the fuse block.

My first guess, assuming it only does this with the car running is your voltage regulator is dead/dying.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the car is running in the video. Does it do this with the engine off? Do you have a multimeter? Put it across the battery terminals with the car running and see if you have a constant voltage. Try this again at the fuse block.

My first guess, assuming it only does this with the car running is your voltage regulator is dead/dying.
Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure I can do this, but I could use a bit more clarification since I'm not experienced with car electrical systems.

1) Are you asking if the brake lights flicker with the key on, but engine off? I don't know today, but I can test that.
2) Do I measure voltage with the engine on and off?
3) When you say "try this again at the fuse block," which terminals do I attach the probes to on the fuse block?
4) What behavior should I get to indicate the voltage regulator is good or bad? 12.6v at battery and fuse block both engine on and off = good voltage regulator?

I'll probably wait until its above 10 degrees in my garage before I start poking around, but I should be able to try it out soon enough.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
902 Posts
1) Yes, key on, engine off. This will establish conditions under constant battery voltage.
2)It would be good with both engine on and off. My thought is if the voltage regulator is dead/dying, you will see fluctuations in voltage while running.
3)You can pull a fuse at the fuse block. Ground of the multimeter to the chassis, positive to one of the fuse terminals.
4)I am just guessing but I suspect you would see fluctuation in the voltage with the engine running.

Good luck finding the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts