The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elise enigine light keeps coming on. The car only has 3k miles on it and has been in the shop about 5-6 times for this problem. The dealer keeps saying it's the gas cap and they did put a new one on and now the problem is right back after being fixed for a few tanks of fuel. It is driving me nuts has anyone else had this problem? Other that this I love my car.

elise

mark

·
Registered
233 Posts
What is the code?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Many things can cause the check engine light, hook up an OBDII scanner and give us the code, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Typically, with gas cap problems, you will see an evap code P0440 (or similar 442, 446).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do i find a code? i just see a orange engine icon on my dash. every time i have had it in the shop it has been the stupid gas cap. they couldn't even fix it and had to order another one and it fixed it for a while but it's going back in the morning now for about the 7th time maybe more. luckily i get a new jag loaner every time takes the pain away some. mark

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Go to a hardware store or Walmart or whatever and put down $50 for an OBD2 reader/scanner. You plug it into the OBD2 port which is right under the dashboard on the passenger side - looks like the old serial ports for a computer printer. Read the manual and learn how to use it. It's really easy, I did it on my own in 1 minute and I'm dysfunctional with this stuff. You'll get a code that you can Google and figure out what the problem is. You should also be able to reset the code so the light goes off. Worth your while, and it works on any modern car post-1996 I think.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
:crazyeyes

I really want to say just take it to the dealer. Who the heck does not know what to do when the check engine light comes on? But, I don't want to be a b****

So, you will notice a somewhat large electrical connector under your dash on the driver/middle side. If you go to an auto part store, you can buy an OBDll scan tool, or possible the auto part store may have one that you can borrow, or they may read it for you.

scan tools...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lotus dealer by me wants $200/odd bucks for gas cap...ouch.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Are you sure they quoted you for the cap and not the door? I would never pay $200 for a plastic cap.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Are you sure they quoted you for the cap and not the door? I would never pay $200 for a plastic cap.
Yep, the tech thought it was just as ridiculous as I did. Anyway, I'm sure there are much cheaper alternatives...I've never seen THAT much discrepancy in dealer parts pricing though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for this thread and the advice. This helped much with my MIL this weekend. It helps to know if the car is safe to drive when the Check engine light is on, and the dealer is closed. Cleared it with the suggested code reader, and now off to the beach...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
you can get your tuner to turn off the evap reporting in the ECU. That will solve that crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts