The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what y'all think about this car? for the peeps that are too uncomfortable in the elise/exige, it might be a good compromise, USED is in the same price point as a fully equipped S

nice example on ebay (no affiliation)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Original-Owner-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ250223799649QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250223799649#ebayphotohosting

its a bit more refined but still quite edgy...

i was personally looking into this, but decided on the S instead
if given the chance would you trade your Loti's for one of these?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well.... lets see, I have both in my garage right now. I know a few others on this board that have a fairly new 911 and an Elise as well. Believe me when I tell you the Elise is a better car. The 996 and 997 are heavy and unforgiving. Good for comfortable highway driving. Or useful when you want to go somewhere and not make a scene. If I actually want to drive and enjoy the road the Lotus is the only choice. It gets better gas mileage too! The 911 is not a compromise, its just compromised.... in the handling category ;p

Edit: You asked our opinion. I have logged mine. Lets see what others have to say.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The 996 GT3 is hard to beat....... except the the 997 GT3!

I'd take the P-car over an elise....but not a loaded 240S.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My opinion.....

It's a GT (i.e. Grand Tourer). The Elise/Exige is not.

Different car, hence hard to compare. A better comparison would be a Lotus Gran Tourer, i.e. Esprit and upcoming replacement.

If someone wants a GT then buy one, this is probably one of the best. If someone wants a sports car then buy an Elise/Exige, they are probably one of the best.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have we gotten so spoiled with the Lotus that we're now calling a GT3 a grand touring car?? :crazyeyes

I've driven two (996 and 997) and it is no grand tourer... the standard 911 may be, but the GT3 is a true sports/track car.

Sure, it's not quite as bare bones as the Elise/Exige, but if you're not willing to deal with the Lotus performance/comfort compromise you'd be hard pressed to find a better car. It's VERY capable as both a street and track car (although yes, consumables will be much more expensive).

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 996 GT3. But after I gave my friend with a modified 996TT a ride (nothing crazy) in my S, he said he felt like he was driving an SUV home. I found the comment funny and it made me proud to own my Lotus!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have we gotten so spoiled with the Lotus that we're now calling a GT3 a grand touring car?? :crazyeyes

I've driven two (996 and 997) and it is no grand tourer... the standard 911 may be, but the GT3 is a true sports/track car.

Sure, it's not quite as bare bones as the Elise/Exige, but if you're not willing to deal with the Lotus performance/comfort compromise you'd be hard pressed to find a better car. It's VERY capable as both a street and track car (although yes, consumables will be much more expensive).
i agree, in NO stretch is a GT3 a grand tourer, although GT stands for grand touring. LOL

to me GT cars are like the F550/575, a 944/928 Pcar, 350Z etc.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Funny you should post this, my SO is bugging me to sell the Elise to get a used GT3 instead. I think they are different genres of vehicles. The 996 is more a luxury, touring car and the Lotus is more of a road-feel, "race car" feel. I find the driving experience and their other merits different (i.e. comfort, amenities, etc.). I can see the need to own both but to choose one or the other, that is difficult.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
My opinion.....

It's a GT (i.e. Grand Tourer). The Elise/Exige is not.

Different car, hence hard to compare. A better comparison would be a Lotus Gran Tourer, i.e. Esprit and upcoming replacement.

If someone wants a GT then buy one, this is probably one of the best. If someone wants a sports car then buy an Elise/Exige, they are probably one of the best.

Something I always thought interesting is that if the Elise or Exige didn't exist, this car would never be considered a "grand tourer", it'd be considered one of the purest sports cars on the market.

The Elise and Exige changes the perspective of everything :)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you like it? I always wondered what a Lotus owner would say about a 997. 997 owners usually don't know any better :shrug:
one of my close buddies has a 997, as far as handling, no comparison, i killed him in my Exige on the canyons LOL

but the carrera is far more livable on street/daily driving!

funny thing is we paid about the same price, and in our circle of friends, the verdict is always a split, 50% like his car, 50% like my car haha LOL

and for the record, im not going to or trying to sell my exige

thanx :coolnana:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
one of my close buddies has a 997, as far as handling, no comparison, i killed him in my Exige on the canyons LOL

but the carrera is far more livable on street/daily driving!

funny thing is we paid about the same price, and in our circle of friends, the verdict is always a split, 50% like his car, 50% like my car haha LOL

and for the record, im not going to or trying to sell my exige

thanx :coolnana:

Doesn't a Carrera S handle better than a base Carrera? PASM standard, right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts