The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody towed an Elise/Exige in an enclosed trailer with a 7 foot wide box? I am looking to go smaller than my 8.5 foot wide Pace Journey. Feedback/pics would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff Bennett

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I have wondered about this too... My tow vehicle will be a large SUV and I don't want to be close to the capacity. One way to go is a lightweight enclosed like Montrose or Trailex. Another way is small, light, cheap. It looks like 7 x 16 or 7 x 18 trailers are common for motorcycles. Clearly, winching in and out would be required and could be a pain. If the trailer does not have front access doors, it might be tough to get nets over the front wheels or even straps through them for tie down.

A member here had a 7.5 wide race trailer for sale. It looked like that worked well for him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Escape door

I saw that guy's 7.5 foo trailer. I was confused about the width. They don't seem to come in that width these days. There is also the escape door option if winching isn't your thing.

Attachments

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I saw that guy's 7.5 foo trailer. I was confused about the width. They don't seem to come in that width these days. There is also the escape door option if winching isn't your thing.
I was thinking of this one from coulthard fan:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...go-enclosed-trailer-super-light-cheap-185874/

Sturgeon,

I guess the only "appealing" thing with a narrow trailer would be weight, ease of seeing around it when towing, maybe storage and reduced frontal area when towing. I agree, bigger is usually better when putting the stuff in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an 8.5 footer right now, 6.5 foot tall interior and my gas mileage goes from 28 HWY to 9 HWY with that much drag. Plus the 7 footer will be easier to see around with or without towing mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump.

Anybody?

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Have you seen the trailer that Jim-C uses in post 10 & 12 here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f161/post-pic-your-trailer-46602/

Wow, that is minimizing a trailer! I am curious about this question too. I see you are using a Tacoma, nice truck. My Sequoia only gets about 14 MPG anyway. Hooking a 8.5 wide by 6.5 tall box behind it will probably put it way down in the single digits. Like you, I can see using a 7 x 16 or 7 x 18 motorcycle trailer if it will work. A v-nose too might help. Would be nice to hear from someone that has tried it.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Call Montrose Trailers - Custom Aluminum Trailers . They can make you one that will be lighter, slimmer and more aerodynamic. Ask for Gary. They have done many trailers for Lotus cars... including mine.
Yes RBH, your trailer seems perfect.... just a little beyond my budget for a trailer. I keep looking for a "deal" on a used Montrose, but they don't seem to exist. People probably hang on to them.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Montrose Trailers are cheaper and in my opinion better made than Trailex and Featherlite. Also it is custom made for your needs.

I was at Barber last week with Hooked On Driving and towards the afternoon the big rigs for Pro Mazda cars came in and started to unload the cars. The big rigs were passing my trailer and pulling into their spots. I was amazed with all their equipment and setup until I noticed some of them were actually more interested in my little setup -eek-. They came by and checked out the trailer and were impressed with the construction and the fact all four sides were open.

I did offer them to do a straight swap - trailer and the Exige. They said that my offer was very generous, but they did not go for it :D

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Alright, so I was the one who bought coulthard fan's trailer here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/fs-wells-cargo-enclosed-trailer-super-light-cheap-195785/

It is actually a 7 foot wide trailer, not 7.5 as listed, as I did measure it. The Elise fits in it with little room to spare. There is a couple of inches of clearance measuring from each side of the mirrors when going through the entrance and probably 4 inches on either side when in the trailer. It is fairly easy to get on and off as he had a winch installed, you just have to take it slow and careful. There is room in the front to store stuff.

I did find that I could drive it in instead and could manage to wriggle out the window with the door partially open doing my best Dukes of Hazzard impression but that's only because I am short and just flexible enough to do it. I would not recommend it.

My tow vehicle is a V8 Toyota Tundra and it pulls easily but I only get 9 maybe 10 mpg doing highway speeds up to 75 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
And more pics:

Attachments

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Alright, so I was the one who bought coulthard fan's trailer here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/fs-wells-cargo-enclosed-trailer-super-light-cheap-195785/

It is actually a 7 foot wide trailer, not 7.5 as listed, as I did measure it. The Elise fits in it with little room to spare. There is a couple of inches of clearance measuring from each side of the mirrors when going through the entrance and probably 4 inches on either side when in the trailer. It is fairly easy to get on and off as he had a winch installed, you just have to take it slow and careful. There is room in the front to store stuff.

I did find that I could drive it in instead and could manage to wriggle out the window with the door partially open doing my best Dukes of Hazzard impression but that's only because I am short and just flexible enough to do it. I would not recommend it.

My tow vehicle is a V8 Toyota Tundra and it pulls easily but I only get 9 maybe 10 mpg doing highway speeds up to 75 mph.
Well, that's cool Allen! Exactly what I needed. This means I get to see it pretty soon too. You coming to NASA this weekend.... or at least TDE at MSR on the 29th?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, that's cool Allen! Exactly what I needed. This means I get to see it pretty soon too. You coming to NASA this weekend.... or at least TDE at MSR on the 29th?
Just came back from running with TDE at TWS for the first time, another fun track. Not able to make NASA this weekend but trying to make TDE at MSR at least for one day. Will see you soon!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts