The Lotus Cars Community banner

Did you consider a Seven when you purchased your Elise/Exige?

• Yes, owned or thought about owning a Seven.

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • No, did not consider it.

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • What's a Seven?

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Considered it and a Noble - both were too big of a PITA compared to the Lotus being a turnkey car.

I'd still like to eventually have a Caterham, not so much a Noble any more.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Considered a seven with a turbo'd hyabusa engine to run in Dmod. Then last year I think the scca made turbo'd motorcycle engines illegal. Sure glad I didn't invest $40k + into that and then not be able to compete.

I wanted the creature comforts that the elise had to offer... like the fact that it's fairly rain proof. That's an important thing around here in Seattle. :)

That being said - I was *seriously* considering the seven replica.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Almost bought a Lotus 7 S4. Looking back on it, I am still glad that I didn't go through with it. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
I have been looking at variants of a Seven for 10+ years. Just not sure what to get, or if I really wanted to live with one. Bought the Elise so that pushed the thought aside.

But in the last 8 months, it reared up its head again. :) I will probably get something soon. I think it is supposed to be built in the next 6 months in UK. Unfortunately, mine is also going to be bike engine powered (Honda) so it is not SCCA legal.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i wanted a seven since they first came out.
when Chris Custer's Rotus came out i went to the factory and inquired, and looked at them.
sell the planes or forget the seven....
kept the planes.
i started looking at sevens the last 10 years, then locost.
sold the bikes and all and bought the Elise.
finally, happy as a clam.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I predict the Sevens will experience a resurection in the next five years, especially if Lotus keeps producing such wonderful cars. I honestly have to say that the Elise has drawn me into the Seven. For some Seven owners I'm sure it was quite the opposite. But my point is: There will be a new generation of Seven owners because of the Elise, Exige and the upcoming Loti.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
The Elise didn't exist when I built my Westfield in '95 (avatar) - was then my only car for 4 years!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Had a 7 a loonngg time ago. Just got back to Lotus last year

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Was extremely close to pulling the trigger on a 7 instead of the Elise, as I drove a friends Cat SV (about a month before I got to drive the Rover powered Elise that the dealers had at the time)...heaven on earth type experience. Even did a track day in it...in the rain.

In fact I put off getting an Elise for over a year. Seriously considered it, until my M100 started acting up, and I needed somewhat practical transport. The Elise filled the void.

I was also concerned about certain event organizers not letting a 7 participate in track events as they classified it as an open wheeled race car and not a passenger car.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I had a Super Seven a long time ago also. Wonderful fun car! Better acceleration than the Elise (depending on the engine, of course), incredibly easy to control when tossing around corners. The Elise is much more sophisticated, with all the +/- that entails. I love my Elise!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have both a Seven ('63 seres II) and a ' 08 Exige S 240. They are as far apart in the area of creature comfort as two cars could possibly be. However in the areas of performance they are cut from the same cloth. Mind bending aceleration (even though the seven runs out of revs at 115 to 120 MPH and the Exige rolls on to 160 ish). They both fit the definition of being exotic. Any one brave onough to drive an original 7 more than 100 miles is will end up deaf, stiff, wet if it rains and possibly have in their teeth. The Exige is dry, warm, smoother and faster by far. I love them both.

·
Registered
412 Posts
From six years ago, but perhaps still apropos wrt the thread topic... :UK:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts