The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's simply amazing to see just how poorly the Europa has sold.

In the UK, just 22 Europas were sold in all of 2008!

While the Europa has its shortcomings as a grand tourer, it's still quite a good sports car.

As this forum is made up of mostly Elise and Exige owners, if you had the option to have purchased a Europa S or SE instead, would you have done that?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Absolutely, as long as the ECU is either fairly tunable, or able to compensate for modifications itself (unlike the Elise/Exige ECU).

Exhaust system, intake, turn up the boot a few PSI, would be a ton of fun.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Having spent some time in one in the UK.... YES!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Loved the car in England and if I had the option to purchase one, I'd do it. Unfortunately, this car would have been a disaster in the US due to its price point which I believe at the time would have put it around $70K'ish. Great car though (inside and out) :drool:

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely, as long as the ECU is either fairly tunable, or able to compensate for modifications itself (unlike the Elise/Exige ECU).

Exhaust system, intake, turn up the boot a few PSI, would be a ton of fun.
Thorney Motorsport has some nice upgrades available.

Thorney Motorsport Lotus Europa Tuning

Stage 3 is in development, and Stage 2 increases power to about 255 hp. 0-60 in about 4 seconds.

·
shay2nak
25,128 Posts
^ that looks killer. I personally still like the design of the Exige and probably wouldn't buy any other new car over it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Darn, I was almost certain this was going to be a "...Because I imported one and somehow it's legal here. Any Takers?" Thread...Ah well, the Europas still a brilliant looking car, if i had the money I'd definitely buy one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
the pictures of the canyon red europa at the top are my car
they were taken about a week ago
I have owned mine for 2 months (im in Australia) and love it

you can find a heap more pictures here
- Lotus Europa S

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh hells yeah!

I hated it when it first came out. I am a tad attached to the original Europa, but having had a good look about the Dodge EV at the LA Auto Show, I changed my mind.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I think you have Australia confused with New Zealand!

whats that aboot? yaaa?
Sorry, friend from Australia was here a few weeks ago, couldn't figure out when he was making fun of the sheep-****ers, and when he was just being an aussie.

And he wouldn't go to outback steakhouse with us :shrug: rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the pictures of the canyon red europa at the top are my car
they were taken about a week ago
I have owned mine for 2 months (im in Australia) and love it

you can find a heap more pictures here
- Lotus Europa S
Beautiful Europa!

Or if there were some way to get them through inspection here :mad:
Unfortunately, it's impossible to legally register a Europa here in the U.S. You may find a state like Florida that would register it, but soon enough you would have federal customs agents show up and seize the car.

Other endeavors that are as easy and rewarding as importing a vehicle not sold here:

- Building a Cold Fusion reactor using parts sourced from Home Depot.
- Space travel using a Daewoo Leganza.
- Painting a scale replica of the Sistine Chapel inside your sock drawer.
- DIY Dental fillings using a Dremel tool and RTV sealant.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
No, I would not have bought a Europa if it were available when I bought my Elise. Nothing wrong with the Europa, but it seems caught between being an Elise and being an Evora, while not being really good at either. People who are looking for a slightly plusher Elise would probably find it a very nice car. For me, I would rather be on one end of the spectrum or the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What attribute qualifies the Evora as a convertible that other Lotus cars do not have?
I think Lotus intend to make an automatic convertible out of the Evora in the near future, 2010 has been mentioned
wether that means a foldaway hard top or soft top, I dont know

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well technically isnt the Elise a roadster? I mean, i haven't a clue what the definition is, but from what I hear from some people on LT says it's either a Roadster or a convertible. i always thought convertible meant "Push Button...Top goes down/up". I always thought of "Take top off manually" as a roadster.

Just my 2 Cents

1 - 20 of 27 Posts