The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are very few sources for seats in this car and it is taboo to modify the stock seat for an anti sub strap. I've seen the offers in the UK for seats that are stock Lotus seats with sub strap holes cut in them, they just won't send them to the USA.

I'm wondering if a reputable company would engineer a solution that was safe if anyone would consider sending their stock seat in for it.

The stock seat has a very sturdy metal bar at the best position for entry of a sub strap. If this had a hole in it that was bordered by a radiused metal tube (as with Kirkey and other metal seats) it would offer a safe solution for everyone that doesn't want to sit on a carbon seat or have a car without a slider under the seat.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
There are about a million threads on this offering various solutions. Once the sub strap opening issue is addressed, one enters the world of different ways to attach the straps to the car (or seat).
I am about to fully enter this realm this Summer. It would appear to be one of the most discussed and confusing topics I've seen here. One would think a concensus opinion would be readily available, but it is not here yet.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One would think a consensus opinion would be readily available, but it is not here yet.
I agree, I've searched and read about a million threads on this and haven't found a consensus either.

Sector has the harness, the mounts for the sub strap and some carbon seats which in several of the threads I've read have to have the sub strap hole enlarged in order for it to be useful. There are several members here that have chosen to modify their stock seats rather then get the carbon seats offered. The other option is to get Recaros or Brides but these are placed in a fixed mount.

I think that there are two key issues regarding the seat modification:

1) Not to weaken the seat

2) Provide a safe radiused interface for the strap at the entry point into the seat regardless of the anchor point for the strap.

The goal would be to weld a radius edge into the reinforcement bar where the sub strap hole is cut. The additional metal would stabilize the part and prevent belt failure in an accident.

It would also be very convenient to send stock seats to Sector for modification and have them ship them back completed including the seat cover.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
There are about a million threads on this offering various solutions. Once the sub strap opening issue is addressed, one enters the world of different ways to attach the straps to the car (or seat)...
+1

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again the goal is not to dredge up the issue of mounting the strap, that horse is dead. I'm very much with you guys on this.

Anyone interested in a service that modifies your stock seat for a sub strap mounts?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Again the goal is not to dredge up the issue of mounting the strap, that horse is dead. I'm very much with you guys on this.

Anyone interested in a service that modifies your stock seat for a sub strap mounts?
if you're going to cut the seat, it is most easily done locally. seats are expensive and difficult to ship. there are no special skills involved. mark hole carefully. remove from the seat from the frame. cut hole in shell. remove padding. slice the seat. sew in liner. anyone with a tape measure, a power drill and a big dremel can do the seat and any good auto upholsterer can do the leather work.

i don't understand the concept of altering the seat frame. if you look at where the crossbar is located relative to you crotch, it's forward of optimal. going through it is adding complexity and not improving the geometry.

$0.02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts