The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some very good friends who own RKA Accessories (RKA-Luggage.com) in Windsor, California who have made custom motorcycle luggage for about 35 years. They've offered to build me a trunk organizer for my Elise and I thought there might be enough interest from others for them to make a run of them. I've not ever seen one of the Sector 111 trunk dividers in person, but know they sell quickly on the used market and this could be a nice alternative.

My initial ideas are to have an area for the rolled up soft top to fit, ideally with a sleeve for the supports. I'd like to have moveable partitions, akin to a camera bag, with a bit of padding for groceries, a place for day trip stuff and maybe a small spot for stuff that might otherwise go in a glovebox. It's all open for design, including custom colors. The idea is to design and build something that is versatile, high quality and built by humans in California.

Is this something of any interest? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I have the sector 111 trunk piece and it is useful but also frustrating. The soft sides means it does not always maintain its shape. Another thing to consider is for those of us that have moved the battery out of the boot.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Would the trunk organizer layout include a space for the rolled-up soft top? That's most of what rides around back there in my car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the posts! I'll continue to check for ideas as this is just beginning to take shape.

The lack of structure in the Sector111 "Bootie" seems like it'd be an issue, but as I understand it, the design was like that in order to access the portions of the trunk beyond the opening. Maybe the answer is a more rigid design with hatch doors to reach through?

A place for the top, including the supports, is at the very top of my list of "must-haves". Also, an insulated area sized perfectly to hold a growler, with an insulated lid.

I have no clue what the price might be - I'm not the manufacturer - RKA is not at the bottom of the price scale for their motorcycle products, but they are at the top of quality and customer service. Here's an example of their custom colors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the sector 11 and i like it. My only complaint is that it is soft sided and it collapses if it is not full and doesn't really do its job. also the trunk gets very warm, I'm not sure an insulated growler area would work well.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
My 2 cents. I have found over the years that you can squeeze more in the trunk if you are using a bunch of random items in soft flexible bags. So personally I would never use an organizer as that would limit the possible arrangements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got some very good friends who own RKA Accessories (RKA-Luggage.com) in Windsor, California who have made custom motorcycle luggage for about 35 years. They've offered to build me a trunk organizer for my Elise and I thought there might be enough interest from others for them to make a run of them. I've not ever seen one of the Sector 111 trunk dividers in person, but know they sell quickly on the used market and this could be a nice alternative.

My initial ideas are to have an area for the rolled up soft top to fit, ideally with a sleeve for the supports. I'd like to have moveable partitions, akin to a camera bag, with a bit of padding for groceries, a place for day trip stuff and maybe a small spot for stuff that might otherwise go in a glovebox. It's all open for design, including custom colors. The idea is to design and build something that is versatile, high quality and built by humans in California.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm definitely interested, I've been looking for a high-quality solution to keep my stuff from flying around in the trunk. I like your ideas, a spot for the soft top and some modular compartments. I'll watch for updates, thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My only complaint is that it is soft sided and it collapses if it is not full
I have the Sector111 Bootie and know what you mean. Keep in mind though, that it has to be soft/flexible enough to fit into the trunk opening, which is much smaller than the trunk itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been thinking about a modular design where the center portion (the easily accessed part of the trunk) has an easily removable section (with handles and a rigid bottom so it doesn't collapse) in order to get at the more inaccessible sections. The perimeter of the trunk could have a series of individual padded soft boxes that could be slid into the center section when the removable section is out. The top and support rods will need a spot right at the bulkhead.

I always pad things in the trunk and have wrapped velcro straps around duffle bags and stuffsacks to keep them from sliding around.

Next stop will be AutoCAD for a quick sketch. Does anyone know if an Elise drawing is available in .dwg format?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts