The Lotus Cars Community banner

Elise/Exige or Evora?

• Total voters
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
People bad mouthed the Evora back in its early years, but Lotus built was of the most amazing all round vehicles ever in the Evora. My instinct says history will have a place in its heart for the Evora, may be more than the Esprit!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Richard Rackham, the designer of the original S1 Elise chassis, said once that the Elise “is not about transport at all”… it’s an experience, like a roller coaster or a shifter kart. He and fellow designer Julian Thompson famously used Ducati superbikes as their chief inspiration when designing the Elise: pure user engagement and a no-compromise design in the name of driver involvement. And it shows: on the right road in the right weather, the Elise/Exige dances… just don’t take it grocery shopping.

I test drove an N/A Evora not too long ago and came away very impressed with the steering feel. If I ever got out of my Elise it would be for a supercharged Evora, maybe when I’m much older – but even then I dunno, because after experiencing the Elise I don’t ever want to lose the sub-1 ton weight, razor-sharp handling, throttle cable simplicity, etc. Plus I just don’t give a fig about infotainment systems or backup cameras.

My wife would like the Evora more, my son would like to Elise. Solution: get both :giggle:

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Still waiting for an Elise replacement with 21st century powertrain to be honest. If the 4C had a better steering feel/high speed stability..it could have worked.

Reactions: LotusCarFan

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I've owned both for many years, Elise for the past 11yrs. I am lucky if I even put 2k miles on the Elise a year. I refuse to sell it though...it is just too special. It is way more raw and faster than my Evora but I don't mind sacrificing some of the performance for the comfort.....I am getting old maybe. :)
Evora is my go to and I take many 6hr round trips in her during the summer. I get a ton of the Lotus feel and fun but in much more enjoyable package. The Elise is the car a grab when I just want to go for a sunny day drive without a destination thru our local mountain roads.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I haven't owned an Evora, but I auto-x and used @donour 's NA Evora to develop some dampers and FSB. Two totally different cars... yet both are very enjoyable.

You could cruise across the country in the Evora and be very comfortable. Having driven across the country in my Elise, it was miserable by comparison.

Despite people saying the Evora is slower... I'm not too sure about that. Stock for stock, the Evora handles better (flame suit on). The Elige has disappointing balance due to limited front camber and narrow wheels/tires. The Evora, on the other hand, can achieve ~1.3-1.4 degrees of front negative camber, which is double that of the Elige. In an auto-x setting, the Evora feels massively bigger than an Elise, but it's still nimble compared to many cars out there. It puts down power quite well due to the soft suspension and mid-rear layout. I rarely noticed the lack of diff in the Evora whereas I got terrible inside wheel spin with my Elise in stock form.

Donour and I took his Evora and my Elise to Buttonwillow for a two-day lapping weekend. I think sub 2:00 laps are doable with the stock Evora on 200tw tires... but only had a few laps to feel it out. It was laughably soft and floaty feeling, but it stuck to the track surprisingly well on a set of RE71Rs. I was actually laughing as we crested the rise and right-left combo before the bus stop on 13CW. It felt like we used about a foot of suspension travel during that section but didn't run out of travel. We had issues with the trans overheating during the warmer sessions. With both totally stock and on the same tires, I think they would have similar lap times.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We had issues with the trans overheating during the warmer sessions. With both totally stock and on the same tires, I think they would have similar lap times.
Small correction. The transmission didn’t overheat, but the fluid in the clutch line boiled. This happened several times until I noticed broken ducts. Fixed.

@jdawson didn’t even mention the brakes. The price point for the Evora allowed for a significantly more capable braking system. Elise brakes are well known to be poorly balanced front/rear with frustrating ABS programming. Stock evora brakes let you drive deep deep into corners with confidence. People rarely mention it because they are just so “right”.

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
I voted Evora. You have owned several Elise's. So I think the fact that you are questioning, says maybe you want the Evora. At this point you should be certain if you wanted an Elise, as you know what you are getting with them. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: LotusCarFan

·
Loves to talk
949 Posts
I wanted a practical sports car that was a thrill to drive without being overly compromised for daily use. I desired a vehicle I wouldn't hesitate to drive cross country yet was still a joy in any situation I might encounter day to day, be it in traffic, in the hills, or on the open road.. The Evora is the only car Lotus currently produces up to those different tasks and is one of the very few they've ever produced that can be daily driven without compromising Lotus' core ethos. The Evora doesn't ask you to entirely abandon utility and purpose. Of course, it is also much more powerful and has more useable speed than any other US available street focused Lotus is (or ever has been).

If you plan to use your sports car every day (or at least routinely) there is no finer vehicle (for the money) than a late model Evora. Also, since the Evoras are current production they can be had with a warranty in case one is not interested in chasing down the issues of a used car the newest of which is now (in this country) ten years old. The very newest Elise/Exige you can buy here would be the age of the very oldest Evoras. Big difference there.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
My lap times in Elise and Evora are typically within 1 second of each other except at tracks with long straights. THEN ELISE GETS KILLED. To do it in Evora is predictable, easy and comforfable. To do it in my Elise I was on the ragged edge. Which means there is more left in the Evora in more capable hands no doubt.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,529 Posts
There are many variables, much of the variance has been accounted for. In my case, I probably would prefer a Evora over my Exige, but I was a younger man when I bought it. If I was buying now, I probably would have gotten an Evora. I always was something of a masochist with my high performance vehicles over the years, the Exige was just the capstone. Absolute Boyracer car. If I drive it everyday for 3 consecutive days it informs me exactly how old I have gotten. So I save it for the days I want to feel or maybe because some days I still feel 30 something. "What a drag it is getting old!" heh

My dd is basically a living room couch. life is good!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts