The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to my dealer to test drive the demo and order my car. While I was there I took a few pictures and videos of the Elise with my digital camera. My friend really wanted to record me getting out of the Elise. So, being on the spot, I decided to make it a tutorial. For added information, I am 6'4" tall, and no I'm not wearing any shoes. I found I fit in the car much better without them on. :)

By the way, how did I do on my fourth time exiting an Elise with a top on. I think those of you who actually own one should post videos of how you get out. :D

It's a .wmv file. Sorry to those of you not using Windows.

http://www.elisetalk.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=285

Attachments

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
There is a getting-in-and-out-with-the-top-on video in the archives. This is what I do:

1) Top on: like the video I mentioned. Ingress: One leg into car. one hand on wheel and one on rear of sill as you get your body in. Then get the other leg in. Always have the seat all the way back for this. Which means you reset it each time if you are 5' 10 " like me. Egress. Left leg out. Hands on wheel and rear of sill, raise body out while pushing down with left leg. Then extract other leg. You also need to have both hands free. A shopping bag in one hand and a cell phone in the other won't help.

2) Top off. Ingress: Lean in and put one leg in as you reach with right hand to the RHS shoulder area of the seat where you put weight on it. As you do this the left hand goes to the back of the sill and then you lower yourself in using both arms in single seater fashion.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Be careful with that hand on the sill! If it's wet (from rain), your hand will slip right off. I did that once, and my wrist was sore for a few hours. :(

I usually push off the cloth-covered part of the seat (near where your left shoulder is when you're sitting), but I wonder how long the seat will take that kind of pressure before it cracks.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Perhaps this should get added to the archives. So many people want to try and put their left leg out first and then there is no easy way to transfer the weight of ones torso.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I only put one leg in, ease in to the seat pull the other leg in. Getting out I always put left leg out first. Lift up with hand on right side bolster, slide out.

I'm 6' - 2"

Chris

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm 5'6", and here's my technique. I put my right palm on the sill, stick my right leg in, tuck my head under the top, put my left leg in, shift my body over the seat, finally drop my rear into the seat elegantly while moving my right arm out of the way. When getting out, I use my left arm instead. Am I one of the few who don't use the steering wheel to get in the driver's side?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't use the steering wheel when getting in, only when getting out. To get in, I put my right leg just inside(or wait until I'm sitting down) and sat on the door sill and slid my butt into the seat, and then pull my other leg in. It worked, but if my legs weren't as flexible, it might not.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Tip: *always* slide the driver's seat fully backward befrore getting in and out.

Not only does this make getting in and out much easier, but it also saves the seat rails from bending as people put pressure on the seat back/sides when getting in or out of the car.

If the rails do get bent then the seat starts to rock back and forward. Can't be fixed and needs new seat rails.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts