The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 2005 Elise with touring package and 30K miles. It has driven great for me with no problems until i had the tires changed. Now whenever i get on the freeway it feels like i'm driving a boat around and the car just wants to float all over the freeway. I'm not sure what it could be, maybe the tires weren't balanced right? I only replaced the rear ones (too many donuts).

Here's the tires i put on it:
33356 Kumho
225/45R-17 94W XL BW
Ecsta ASX

any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Check simple and obvious things first -
> Tire pressures (typical tire shops will overinflate to 35 psi)
> Tightness of lug nuts
> tire beads have properly seated

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Ditto with checking the simple stuff first, including alignment.

Also, do you know if it's ever been on a rollback or car transporter? If so, hopefully it wasn't secured with straps around any of the suspension pieces, potentially bending them.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,644 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me when I got the rear tires replaced. They put 44 lbs of pressure in the tires!!! It drove super twitchy. With the rears set back to 28 lbs of pressure the car drove normally.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
what tires are on front of car?

what are your pressures?

Note that it takes a 100 miles or so to "break in" new tires.

I don't think you understand tire balancing and should look it up.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me when I got the rear tires replaced. They put 44 lbs of pressure in the tires!!! It drove super twitchy. With the rears set back to 28 lbs of pressure the car drove normally.
This gets my vote. To seal the bead properly when mounting the tires, many shops use 40-50 psi of pressure.

Then they're supposed to set the tires back to the proper pressure for usage.

Sometimes, they don't.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought the Kumho Ecsta ASX rears in 235/45 and noticed the exact same issue... Until I let some air out and set it at 28 psi. Now it handles great other than the tires being easier than **** to break loose.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Miss matching front and rear tires can really upset the ride and handling on the Elise , I had the same thing happen when I tried putting Yoko S drive on the rear with AD07 on the front, sidewall flex was not compatable, stiffer front and softer rear made it feel dangerous. switched to Yoko AD08 in the rear and solved the problem... Plus they look good.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Well, how stable do you think a gocart on the highway should feel?
I would think more stable than a car.

Anyhow way back in time, I had some A008s on a car.
Then changed to Dunlop ??

The car was squirming around on the hyway and it felt really bad.
Exactly like watching a motorcycle from behind on a freeway.

So I called tirerack and they said, "Do you live in France?" (yes before number recognition).
I said "No"
They said, "Well then SoCal?"
I said, "Yes"

They explained that the groves in the tires matched the spacing of the machine cut siping on the freeways.
Anyhow I got used to it.
They were great when loaded up, but felt like they were on ice when just going straight.

Probably not your problem. I should suspect pressure as mentioned above, or if an alignment was done, then I would question that.
The other alternative is that the geometry changed from tire height differences.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Did anybody mention checking tire pressure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys!

The tire pressure was overinflated to 34psi so i deflated it down to 28psi and it felt a bit better, but the car still feels really twitch when i hit about 80 mph.

All of the beads are properly seated and all lug nuts are secured to 77flbs.

The front tires are yokohama neova advan. They still have a decent amount of tread on them.

If no one else has any other ideas, it looks like i'll have to go get some new front tires too.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Also you are likely feeling the difference between the AD07 which have stiffer sidewalls and more of summer tread and the Kumho Ecsta which are all season (more tread squirm) and marketed to have "a smooth ride", which means soft sidewall. In a car like the Elise/Exige you can feel sidewall flex, it's the bit of hesitation between the time you make a steering input (even tiny ones) and when the car takes a set and turns. In your case you have a tire in the front will give a nice linear steering feel but, the rears will take a moment longer and give your seat of pants the feeling of instability or squishiness. This is perfect illustration of why Lotus said they worked with Yokohama to develop the "LTS" labeled AD07 and A048 tires.

So, the question is do you want to put the Kumho Ecstas on the fronts too? You may get better front/rear balance, but the price may be the wonderful directness and feel that you got with the Yokos.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would assume it's the tires (all seasons) and/or your tires mismatching. I have a ridiculously smooth ride on my R1Rs.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Do you have grooves running down the length of the roads you're driving on?

ditto what someone said about grooves in highways and solid ribs on tires... i don't know the tires in question, but i've had tires taken off a different car as unacceptable because the solid rib in the middle would track the grooves on highway 85 around here and the car just jumped all over the place. It was not something i could get used to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you bought some ****-ass tires bro. What do you expect?
That seems helpful like a helpful statement. Maybe you post your useless comments on your own threads.

To everyone else, I dropped the tire pressure to 26 psi and it went back to handling exactly the way it was before :)

Thanks for the help everyone! i'm glad this was an easy fix!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts