The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to take my Elise out of storage! One problem. My brakes are pretty badly oxidized / corroded. My dad said to just drive around and it'd go away. It didn't. It's now somewhat thick with brake material on top. it also smells when I apply the brakes... Can I just drive around more, or what should I do?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Pictures?

Is it just surface rust on the face of the rotors? IF so your dad is right, just do some light driving around town and the braking should scrap that stuff off.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
It might go away by just driving around for a bit, but it also might not...
That was how I ruined my brakes on my M-class.
Roads were salty when I last drove it, then I parked it outside to go on a vacation for three weeks.
When I came back the brakes were completely rusty and almost useless for a couple hundred miles. It was pretty scary.
And after the rust cleared somewhat the braking efficiency went back to normal, but ever since my brakes have a wobble. I still have the wobble, and that incident was two years ago...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove around pretty aggressively for an hour. It's fine on the front, but not all gone on the rears. it is significantly better, but not all gone. I guess I just have to do some more spirited driving ;)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I drove around pretty aggressively for an hour. It's fine on the front, but not all gone on the rears. it is significantly better, but not all gone. I guess I just have to do some more spirited driving ;)

Don't sweat it, it is normal. The rears are used a small percentage relative to the fronts. It is only surface corrosion which will disappear during usage.
Michael

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
no, just do light driving. slower/cold stops will scrape this stuff off. if you get your pads all hot, its just going to embed into the rust.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, just do light driving. slower/cold stops will scrape this stuff off. if you get your pads all hot, its just going to embed into the rust.
Yeah, I think that made it gunk up and harder to scrape off. Its getting better, though. No stinky brake smell haha

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Yup, mine are a nice solid orange right now. It can happen with just sitting for a couple weeks from what I've heard

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
You can also take your Brakes apart and scuff the rust off the rotors and pads with fine sandpaper. That also helps to break the glaze on the rotors which Happens over time. It will increase braking performance.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
You can also take your Brakes apart and scuff the rust off the rotors and pads with fine sandpaper. That also helps to break the glaze on the rotors which Happens over time. It will increase braking performance.
It will not increase braking performance unless the brakes are properly "bedded" afterwards.

Pad material smoothly and consistently deposited on the rotors is what improves braking performance and longevity. When properly "bedded" your brakes will be at their best. But don't take my word for it.

Brake Pad Bed-In

San

·
Registered
685 Posts
How'd they get so rusty? Where do you store it? Did you wash right before putting it in storage w/o a couple laps around the track?

·
He's on fire!
3,346 Posts
i'm surprised at the life this thread has. All rotors get rusty, it doesn't matter how you brake to remove it, and the rears don't cover the full face of the rotor so what was seen in the picture is normal. thats all there is to it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Rotors used to rust pretty quick in the garage when not used. This winter I parked my Elise on thick plastic sheeting. Over the entire winter no rust at all! The plastic stops the moisture rising from the concrete. I was amazed at the difference.
Andrew

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Never use this crap. When I used it, it stained the fcuk out of my calipers. Good thing I'm getting them painted.
I've had the opposite effect, wet wheel, spray, use soft brush and rinse, don't let it dry in the wheels and it actually cleans some of the rust out, maybe I've been lucky...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts