The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the forum.

I cut my teeth on "mid engine" in the 80s with X1/9s, dabbled with RX7s for a while then ended up a Porsche guy. I recently lost a 911 Carerra to a trailing throttle mishap (was cut off on a curved freeway interchange with nowhere to go with a traffic lane on the left and barricade on the right - only human damage was my ego but the car died that day). I had intended to replace the 911 with a similar one until I saw an Exige run at a recent PCA track day. That got me here.

I dearly loved the 911 for it's visceral er...porscheness, but it took a great deal of physical and mental energy to get it around the track with any grace. I had always missed the tight, responsive, just-think-it-through-the -curve, handling of the X1/9 - it was a car you wore, not drove. I haven't driven anything since with quite that quality, but by all accounts I've read the Elise platform is close if not better. And then there's the supercar performance.

I'm thinking basic Elise, both to keep the cost down but also because I'm not big fan of forced induction in a car that you might want to drive gently to dinner or the kid's soccer game.

So those of you who know what I mean, and you know who you are ;), am I barking up the right tree?

Sorry for the bandwidth and thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The basic Elise will work well for you

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yup, it sounds like you're a Lotus guy in the making. I have a normally-aspirated Elise and love it. Not torquey like the 911, but it screams in the high revs. And the handling is reminiscent of the older P-cars. Test drive one and see what you think. I think you'll be hooked... Good luck.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Whatever you do don't even consider a test drive......you will be hooked!!! From the first mile you will know if this is what you are looking for but it sure does sound like the perfect match.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm thinking basic Elise, both to keep the cost down but also because I'm not big fan of forced induction in a car that you might want to drive gently to dinner or the kid's soccer game.
This makes sense right now, but after you drive one for a few weeks, you'll realize you you never want to drive it gently. The car begs to be driven hard. I really have a hard time restraining myself on the street, but I do it.

I have a N/A Elise and I am satisfied.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have a Elise and there is plenty in this car for one to learn. Very satisfying. :shift:
Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh yeah, you sound like me when I was looking...bought the first damn one I drove.

As far as the power thing, it makes sense to buy a regular Elise, drive it for a while, and then see if you want more power. I've only had mine for a few months and I was real interested in a certain CharlieX post from earlier today about a new SC option. You can never have too much power.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm a former P-car owner (two 911's) and didn't like the way they were headed (bigger/heavier). I remember driving cars such as X1/9, 914, and Lotus Europa T/C that belonged to friends back in the '70's. They had what you're now looking for in a lightweight sports car, but some of them weren't very durable.

The Elise is one of the few cars now on the market other than Super Seven variants and the like that still have it. In spite of the carping from some members about reliability, the Elise is far ahead of some of the cars you remember. The Toyota drivetrain is at the heart of this reliability. Combine that with the cutting-edge handling and you have an unbeatable recipe for fun. Do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the fast comment, guys. Can't wait for that first test drive, although that'll be a problem. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and they're pretty rare in these parts. There is a dealer here but they only get a couple a year and all they expect for this year are cup racers. I tried to get the guy at the stealership to talk about bringing one in from another store but he wasn't interested - guess because I drove up in my poor-man's 944. :(

I think I'll have to go to Phoenix, Denver or Dallas to see any kind of selection. I'm thinking 2006 or 2007 anyway to shave off a few grand.

Keep the good words coming.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Normally when I see these threads I always think the answer is no. I've always thought the Elise was a car that was either in you or not to own. However, it sounds like you'd love the Lotus, I can almost guarantee you'd be hooked after just one drive and spend all your spare time trying to find one to buy :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts