The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Socal folks familiar with this car?

Would anyone local be willing to give it a first look before I pay for a PPI (I'm in western NC). I'd be happy to cover your expenses. Who would you recommend for a local PPI include ECU dump and cam inspection?

Thanks so much in advance.

Don Raff
[email protected]
'73 Europa TCS in restoration

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know the place and can have a look. Has the dealer confirmed if the oil cooler line recall has been completed? Also some '05's had the shifters replaced.

San Diego no longer has a Lotus dealer. You may want to contact Shinoo at Inokintic for the PPI. They are not in San Diego but about 40-50 miles from this dealer in Cardiff.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What Paul said. It is about 15-20 miles south of me and I could give a once over if you want also..... maybe meet Paul for the first time there and gang up on the seller...lol

That being said, I have driven by it on the front line a few times, but never stopped to look as I currently had one..(or two)

·
Registered
57 Posts
What Paul said. It is about 15-20 miles south of me and I could give a once over if you want also..... maybe meet Paul for the first time there and gang up on the seller...lol

That being said, I have driven by it on the front line a few times, but never stopped to look as I currently had one..(or two)
If you'd like strength in numbers, I could try to join both of you. I'm about an hour and a half north.
Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ditto with what Paul said about contacting Shinoo at Inokinetic. They know the Elise platform inside and out.

I'm in town and would also be happy to check it out. Does the coolant look a bit low in one of their photos? Would be nice to find out if the radiator is still the original or if it's been replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all the great questions and offers to put eyeballs on it. I have asked Cardiff Classics about the two recalls. Apparently Lotus does not report completed recalls to NHTSA so can't check there. The carfax indicates it was a leased vehicle from 5/15/2005 until 6/27/2007 at 3,477 miles and was sold and serviced by Ferrari Maserati Bentley Lotus of Denver so I think there's a good chance the recalls were performed.

I have not spoken with Shinoo at Inokinetic yet. Interestingly they also have a 2005 Bordeaux Red Elise for sale thru their affiliate Black Shadow Motors with similar mileage priced $1,500 higher. It does have the Sport package and thus LLS wheels and I assume it has been gone thru completely and properly. Both have hard and soft tops.

05 Elise: 43k miles

Both seem at upper end of market price but I haven't talked turkey with either yet. Cardiff asking $36K, Black Shadow $37.5K. It will likely cost me ~$1,000 for enclosed shipping to NC. Anyone have any experience negotiating with Cardiff or Inokinetic (Black Shadow) that they're willing to share?

I think it's safe to say the Inokinetic Black Shadow Elise is top notch and ready to roll. But I would still appreciate a look-see at the Cardiff one. Tom Billick is the owner and he would appreciate a call in advance to schedule an inspection. His cell is 619-913-5855 and dealership number is 760-632-5555. Katie is office manager.

Let me know what I can do to assist. And thank you again for all your kind offers to inspect. I'll let everyone local coordinate on their own.

·
Registered
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
26 Posts
I'm a few miles away, and have looked casually at the one at Cardiff Classics; it appears to be all stock and clean, and Tom is a good guy. I've also looked a bit more closely at the similar one at Black Shadow Motors, and I know it has indeed been thoroughly gone through. As you know, it has the Sport package and LSS wheels (cast wheels at CC), but I don't remember which coilovers.

I'm also available to help, e.g. look / take pics etc. at CC. Does that CarFax show regular service other than the 05-07 lease period?

And my nickel says Shinoo will be happy to do a good and fair PPI on the CC car even though he has a competitor.

-Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carfax shows some service after lease was up at independent shops. Brake fluid flush and 2 new tires at 11,601 miles. New battery at 16,425 miles. Several unspecified services reported which are presumably oil changes. Passed CA emissions in 2015, '17, and '19. Cardiff reports it has 4 new OEM tires which is worth some $$.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Are you looking for the LSS package specifically? That may tip the scales one way or the other.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I assume if the current dealer contacted Lotus with the vin, recall completion can be confirmed. I don't recall if the shifter was a recall or tsb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not specifically looking for Sport pack or LSS wheels. Strong preference for Bordeaux red pearl however.

Dealer confirmed with Lotus all recalls are up to date. Apparently Lotus does not report completed recalls to NHTSA so the govt search website doesn't help us.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
81 Posts
Thanks so much for all the great questions and offers to put eyeballs on it. I have asked Cardiff Classics about the two recalls. Apparently Lotus does not report completed recalls to NHTSA so can't check there. The carfax indicates it was a leased vehicle from 5/15/2005 until 6/27/2007 at 3,477 miles and was sold and serviced by Ferrari Maserati Bentley Lotus of Denver so I think there's a good chance the recalls were performed.

I have not spoken with Shinoo at Inokinetic yet. Interestingly they also have a 2005 Bordeaux Red Elise for sale thru their affiliate Black Shadow Motors with similar mileage priced $1,500 higher. It does have the Sport package and thus LLS wheels and I assume it has been gone thru completely and properly. Both have hard and soft tops.

05 Elise: 43k miles

Both seem at upper end of market price but I haven't talked turkey with either yet. Cardiff asking $36K, Black Shadow $37.5K. It will likely cost me ~$1,000 for enclosed shipping to NC. Anyone have any experience negotiating with Cardiff or Inokinetic (Black Shadow) that they're willing to share?

I think it's safe to say the Inokinetic Black Shadow Elise is top notch and ready to roll. But I would still appreciate a look-see at the Cardiff one. Tom Billick is the owner and he would appreciate a call in advance to schedule an inspection. His cell is 619-913-5855 and dealership number is 760-632-5555. Katie is office manager.

Let me know what I can do to assist. And thank you again for all your kind offers to inspect. I'll let everyone local coordinate on their own.
I’ve kicked myself for not buying that one from Quinn when she listed it here last year. It looks fantastic, sport pack, one owner with great documentation, etc. I love mine, but I have found myself wanting many of the features that car has.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't pay close to 40 for an Elise right now considering the values on Exige's seem like they have come down. A recent S240 that was lived for 50k just sold, I assume for around that price, but I don't know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FWIW, I bought my 2006 Lotus Elise from Cardiff in Sept 2017. The sale was smooth and the owner is a good guy. They had some pretty cool cars on their lot. I bought mine sight unseen. Flew down from San Jose, Uber'ed from San Diego Airport to the dealer, completed the sale, then drove the car home.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
340 Posts
Not specifically looking for Sport pack or LSS wheels. Strong preference for Bordeaux red pearl however.

Dealer confirmed with Lotus all recalls are up to date. Apparently Lotus does not report completed recalls to NHTSA so the govt search website doesn't help us.
Bordeaux Pearl Red is a limited color. Only available in 2005 and only 205 made. I would know, I have the 8th of 205. Oddly, when I bought mine in April, 2016, there wer 2 available within 200 miles. Guess it was destiny :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts